Discover Newfoundland & Labrador
The best of “the Far East of the Western World”: Gros Morne & Terra Nova National Parks, Twillingate, Trinity, St. John’s, boat tours, 3 UNESCO World Heritage sites and more!
|Style||Value VacationTravel in larger groups than our Small Group tours, but at fantastic value prices. These group tour packages are operated by our carefully selected partners and may be shared with other English speaking passengers ensuring guaranteed departures. More of these packages
Dedicated tour escorts & guides throughout
|Departures||June – September 2023||Group Size||24 travelers max|
|Themes||History & Culture, Bucket List, Nature & Wildlife|
|What to Expect||Travel safely and confidently with our new health & safety protocols.|
|Already booked?||Find everything you need to know before you go, including information about passport & visa requirements, flights, luggage, and more.|
Check prices & book now
Get updates about this package
Discover the absolute best highlights of Newfoundland, Labrador and everything in between on this 13-day journey. From the northernmost tip of the island of Newfoundland to the most easterly point in North America, your Canadian adventure covers it all. Have your camera ready as you take in the unmatched scenery of Gros Morne National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site home to Bonne Bay and the Tablelands. Bask in the history of the ancient peoples – the Maritime Archaic, Vikings, and Basques – as you travel to coastal fishing communities and meet friendly, hospitable locals. Embark on numerous boat tours, keeping a keen eye out for whales down below and bald eagles, puffins, and other seabirds high above. Join us in Canada and soon discover the best of “the Far East of the Western World”.
- All ground transportation and transfers
- 12 nights accommodations in tourist class hotels
- 25 Meals: 12 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 9 dinners
- Comprehensive touring program including entrance fees
- Professional, English-speaking tour director
Why you'll love it
- Learn about the ancient cultures of Port au Choix, a fishing community where people have settled for 5,500 years.
- Relax on an overnight ferry ride to Port aux Basques.
- Explore mystical Red Bay National Historic Site, a UNESCO World Heritage Site where the Basques had a whaling station in the 16th century.
- Hear of the Vikings who walked over a thousand years ago to L’Anse aux Meadows National Historic Site, the first cultural discovery in the world to receive recognition as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Have the opportunity to spot whales during a whale watching boat tour in St. Anthony.
- Be on the lookout for bald eagles during a scenic boat tour on Bonne Bay.
- Witness the Tablelands, a mountain of flat-topped rock typically found only deep within Earth's mantle.
- Browse a variety of artifacts and displays at the North Atlantic Aviation Museum.
- Visit Long Point Lighthouse and the Prime Berth Fishery & Heritage Centre in Twillingate.
- Explore the two historic towns of Bonavista and Trinity.
- Enjoy a city tour of St. John's, including the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, Confederation Building, and a panoramic view from Signal Hill.
- Embark on a boat tour in the Witless Bay Ecological Reserve and search for puffins and other seabirds alike.
Itinerary at a Glance
- 1 Arrive Halifax
- 2 Halifax, Nova Scotia to Port aux Basques, Newfoundland
- 3 Port aux Basques to Port au Choix
- 4 Port au Choix to L’Anse au Clair
- 5 L’Anse au Clair to St. Anthony
- 6 St. Anthony to Cow Head
- 7 Gros Morne National Park
- 8 Cow Head to Gander
- 9 Gander to Clarenville
- 10 Bonavista & Trinity Touring
- 11 Clarenville to St. John’s
- 12 Witless Bay and St. John's
- 13 Depart St. John's/Arrive USA
Dates & Prices
Dates & Prices
Dates & Prices, tour only
per person, double occupancy*, including Instant Savings discounts
Starts: Fri, Aug 5, 2022
Finishes: Wed, Aug 17, 2022
Aug 5 – Aug 17
Starts: Fri, Sep 2, 2022
Finishes: Wed, Sep 14, 2022
Sep 2 – Sep 14
Starts: Fri, Jun 23, 2023
Finishes: Wed, Jul 5, 2023
Book by Thu, Aug 18, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! Jun 23 – Jul 5
Starts: Fri, Jul 14, 2023
Finishes: Wed, Jul 26, 2023
Book by Thu, Aug 18, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! Jul 14 – Jul 26
Starts: Fri, Aug 4, 2023
Finishes: Wed, Aug 16, 2023
Book by Thu, Aug 18, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! Aug 4 – Aug 16
Starts: Fri, Sep 1, 2023
Finishes: Wed, Sep 13, 2023
Book by Thu, Aug 18, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! Sep 1 – Sep 13
If you want a few extra days to explore on your own, we may be able to arrange for you to stay later than the scheduled dates, including extra hotel nights and separate airport transfers, for an additional charge. Ask us about prices and availability when (or after) you book. More information Want to extend your trip?
Options & Fees
|Discover Newfoundland & Labrador|
|Bonne Bay Tour||included|
|Western Brook Pond Tour with 2 mile walk to dock/each way||included|
1. On day 7, choose between one of the two boat tours.
So that we can offer you the best deals, our packages are, like most hotels and cruises, priced based on double occupancy rooms or cabins. We charge solo travelers an extra fee to cover the extra costs of single occupancy rooms or cabins. (Consider: if you booked a $200/night hotel room solo, you would pay the $200 yourself; but if a couple booked the same room, each one would pay only $100.) But you only pay extra for the rooms or cabins, nothing else, including meals, sightseeing, tips, etc. Why are single rooms more?
Flights & Departure Cities
This package does not include flights to the destination.
Day 1 Arrive Halifax
- Upon arrival, be met by our local representative and transferred to your hotel
- Meet your fellow travelers at your hotelFull Day Itinerary
Day 2 Halifax, Nova Scotia to Port aux Basques, Newfoundland
- Travel across the Casno Causeway to Cape Breton Island
- Take an overnight ferry across the Gulf of St Lawrence to Port aux Basques, Newfoundland & Labrador
Marine Atlantic Ferry Breakfast & dinnerFull Day Itinerary
Today, board your touring coach and cross over the Canso Causeway to Cape Breton Island, rich with Mi'kmaq, Celtic, and Acadian heritage.
Arrive in Sydney, and enjoy dinner at a restaurant. Continue to the port at North Sydney and bid adieu to Nova Scotia as you board the Marine Atlantic ferry for an overnight crossing to Port aux Basques, your port of entry on the island of Newfoundland.
Day 3 Port aux Basques to Port au Choix
- Traverse the Codroy Valley
- Tour the western side of island of Newfoundland
Sea Echo Motel Breakfast, lunch & dinnerFull Day Itinerary
Disembark at Port aux Basques, and head to a restaurant for a hearty breakfast. Then, travel off-the-beaten-path, passing through the glacier-formed Codroy Valley and the diverse landscapes of Gros Morne National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site that presents a rare example of continental drift where deep ocean crust and rocks of the Earth's mantle lie exposed.
Continue to the fishing community of Port au Choix, known as the Crossroads of Culture. This beautiful and remote area of Newfoundland is the crossroads of 6,000 years of human history, which includes the Maritime Archaic culture, the Dorset, the Groswater people, and the recent indigenous inhabitants who were here long before the Europeans arrived.
Check into your hotel and join your fellow travelers for dinner.
Day 4 Port au Choix to L’Anse au Clair
- Enjoy a scenic ferry ride on the Strait of Belle Isle
- Explore the Red Bay National Historic Site, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
Northern Light Inn Breakfast & dinnerFull Day Itinerary
After breakfast, catch a ferry from St. Barbe and cross the Strait of Belle Isle to land in Labrador.
Later, enjoy a tour of Red Bay National Historic Site, a 16th-century whaling station established by the Basques. This UNESCO World Heritage Site includes the remains of rendering ovens, cooperages, a wharf, living quarters, a cemetery, underwater shipwrecks, and whale bone deposits. This mystical place takes the essence of Labrador coastal living and transposes it onto a tapestry of rich culture and history.
Continue to L'Anse Au Clair in Labrador and check into your hotel. Join your fellow travelers for dinner.
Day 5 L’Anse au Clair to St. Anthony
- Board a ferry back to Newfoundland
- Explore L’Anse aux Meadows National Historic Site, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
Haven Inn Breakfast & dinnerFull Day Itinerary
This morning, board a ferry back to Newfoundland. Pass rugged cliffs, awe-inspiring coastline, and vast marshland to L'Anse aux Meadows National Historic Site, the first cultural discovery in the world to receive recognition as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Discover the fascinating archaeological remains of the Vikings who settled here over a thousand years ago.
Continue to St. Anthony, located on Newfoundland's tip of the Great Northern Peninsula. St. Anthony is the leading service center for northern Newfoundland and southern Labrador.
This evening, check into your hotel, followed by dinner with your fellow travelers.
Day 6 St. Anthony to Cow Head
- Visit the Grenfell House Musuem
- Enjoy a whale watching experience off the coast of St. Anthony
Shallow Bay Motel & Cottages Breakfast & dinnerFull Day Itinerary
After breakfast, visit the Grenfell House Museum, the restored residence of Sir Wilfred Thomason Grenfell, a medical missionary, author, and arctic explorer, who arrived in Newfoundland in 1892 and left behind a legacy of orphanages, schools, and medical services to the fishing families of coastal Newfoundland and Labrador.
Later, enjoy a whale-watching boat tour experience at the whale-watching capital of Newfoundland, St. Anthony. Have the chance to see the most commonly spotted Minke whale or catch a glimpse of the Finback, Orca, Humpback whales, or dolphins in action. Titanic-size icebergs are as abundant as the whales in June and early July.
Depart St. Anthony and travel to the scenic town of Cow Head, located just outside of Gros Morne National Park.
Check into your hotel, followed by dinner with your fellow travelers.
Day 7 Gros Morne National Park
- Tour the Gros Morne National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Scenic boat tour on Bonne Bay or Western Brook Pond
Shallow Bay Motel & Cottages Breakfast, lunch & dinnerFull Day Itinerary
After breakfast, discover the beauty of Gros Morne National Park, a unique, open-air geological showcasing 500 million years of Earth's past.
Then, take part in a boat tour of your choice.
Bonne Bay Tour: Board a boat for a scenic tour of the pristine waters of Bonne Bay. Enjoy the beauty of the bay's dramatic coastline but be on the lookout for bald eagles fishing the deep waters of the fjord, seabirds, whales, and moose. Later, view the awe-inspiring geological wonder known as The Tablelands, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Formed deep in Earth's mantle for half a billion years, it was thrust up as ancient continents collided, building the Appalachian Mountain chain and assembling a supercontinent called Pangea. Over time, these towering mountains eroded, leaving a desolate and surreal landscape exposed for you to see.
Western Brook Pond Tour: Trek down a rocky path for roughly 45 minutes before reaching the dock for the Western Brook Pond Tour. Located in the Long Range Mountains, this spectacular glacier-carved fjord is surrounded by towering rock walls adorned with cascading waterfalls and is home to an abundance of wildlife. Following the tour's conclusion, walk 45 minutes back to the parking lot.
After an unforgettable experience, return to your hotel in Cow Head and join your fellow travelers for dinner.
Day 8 Cow Head to Gander
- Tour through Central Newfoundland
- Visit the North Atlantic Aviation Museum
Sinbad's Hotel & Suites BreakfastFull Day Itinerary
After breakfast, travel through Central Newfoundland to Gander, a small town that hosted 6,700 stranded travelers after 38 planes were ordered to land following the September 11 attacks. The hospitality and generosity of the residents became the basis of the hit Broadway Musical, Come From Away.
Later, visit the North Atlantic Aviation Museum, which chronicles Gander's role in developing transatlantic aviation.
Check into your hotel and enjoy the balance of the evening at leisure.
Day 9 Gander to Clarenville
- Enjoy a scenic drive along the rocky coast of Notre Dame Bay
- Stop at Long Point Lighthouse in Twilingate
- Visit the Prime Berth Fishery & Heritage Centre
- Explore Terra Nova National Park
Quality Hotel Clarenville Breakfast, lunch & dinnerFull Day Itinerary
Depart Gander and take a scenic drive along the rocky coast of Notre Dame Bay, an inlet of the Atlantic Ocean containing rugged islands once inhabited by the now extinct Beothuk tribe.
Continue to the beautiful port of Twillingate, famous for its stunning coastline, charming streets, lush countryside, and icebergs if the season is right. Then, head to the Long Point Lighthouse, where you'll have a panoramic view of it.
Shortly after, stop at the Prime Berth Fishery & Heritage Centre, a private interpretive fishing center and craft studio created by David Boyd as a tribute to his forefathers. Prime Berth refers to the age-old practice of holding a lottery to determine the best place for fishermen to set their cod traps during summer. In honor of this tradition, and as a tribute to these proud people, David named his heritage center "Prime Berth," meaning "the best spot!"
Travel through Terra Nova National Park, a magical place where dense boreal forest and magnificent fjords compete for your attention. Make your way to Clarenville. Upon arrival, check into your hotel and join your fellow travelers for dinner.
Day 10 Bonavista & Trinity Touring
- Visit Bonavista and Cape Bonavista Lighthouse Provincial Historic Site
Quality Hotel Clarenville Breakfast, lunch & dinnerFull Day Itinerary
After breakfast, visit Bonavista's quaint and historic town, where John Cabot first arrived in North America in 1497. Climb the stone tower of Cape Bonavista Lighthouse Provincial Historic Site and see the same seal oil-fueled catoptric light apparatus used in the 1800s. Learn about the challenges of being a lighthouse keeper and take in the beauty of one of the most photographed places in Newfoundland and Labrador.
Enjoy lunch in Bonavista before continuing to the charming town of Trinity. Stroll past the historic buildings preserved from the 18th century or stop by a local art gallery. If time permits, pop into Aunt Sarah's Chocolate Shop for a sweet treat.
Day 11 Clarenville to St. John’s
- Explore the costal town of Brigus
- Take a scenic drive to the Avalon Peninsula
- Tour historic St. John's
Delta Hotel by Marriott St. John's Breakfast & dinnerFull Day Itinerary
After breakfast, travel to the picture-perfect town of Brigus, a small fishing town located in Conception Bay, with strong ties to its past and a hopeful eye on the future.
Continue through the Avalon Peninsula, home to 51% of Newfoundland's population and location of its provincial capital and largest city, St. John's. Set against the backdrop of granite cliffs, St. John's is North America's oldest city, perfectly blending big-city luxury and traditional small-town charm.
Enjoy a city tour highlighting the Victorian architecture of downtown, the bustling waterfront, the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, the Confederation Building, and a panoramic view from Signal Hill.
Return to the hotel for the balance of the day at leisure.
Day 12 Witless Bay and St. John's
- Enjoy a boat tour in the Witless Bay Ecological Reserve
- Travel to Cape Spear National Historic Site
Delta Hotel by Marriott St. John's BreakfastFull Day Itinerary
This morning, travel to the small fishing village of Bay Bulls. Here you will embark on a boat tour in the Witless Bay Ecological Reserve in search of puffins and other seabirds. This reserve is one of nature's greatest wonders, composed of four small islands. During summer, it is home to hundreds of thousands of seabirds that come to the islands to nest and raise their young.
Later, travel to the most easterly point in North America, Cape Spear National Historic Site.
Return to St. John's, and enjoy the afternoon at leisure.
Day 13 Depart St. John's/Arrive USA
- Transfer to the airport for your return flight home
Hotels & Ship
The Cambridge Suites Hotel is and eco-friendly property conveniently located in downtown Halifax, within walking distance of the famed Citadel Hill, restaurants, as well as the best sights and sounds of Nova Scotia's capital.
Sea Echo Motel is a modest property overlooking the Port au Choix harbor and is a short walk from Gargamelle Cove.
On a remote section of the Trans-Labrador Highway near the Quebec border, this modest hotel is just a short walk from a sandy beach and 8km (about 5 miles) from the Strait of Belle Isle Ferries. The Northern Light Inn is a family run hotel with 44-years of experience in providing a warm and personal service to their guests.
Located in the heart of St. Anthony, the Haven Inn offers a warm and inviting atmosphere and is just a 10 minute walk from Marguerite Bay and local restaurants and pubs.
Shallow Bay Motel is located in the heart of Gros Morne National Park, overlooking the Gulf of St. Lawrence and just minutes away from the breathtaking scenery of Shallow Bay Beach.
Sinbad's Hotel and Suites is conveniently located in the heart of downtown Gander, just steps away from local shopping and restaurants.
Quality Hotel Clarenville is located on the Trans-Canada Highway in the town of Clarenville, Newfoundland and Labrador, just two miles from the Clarenville Marina.
Delta Hotel St. John's waterfront hotel is located just a few steps away from the St. John's most interesting landmarks including George Street and Cape Spear Lighthouse.
In the unlikely event that a particular hotel is not available, a similar or better hotel may be substituted.
The Marine Atlantic Ferry from North Sydney to Port Aux Basques offers a scenic voyage from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland and Labrador. Step aboard and feel the cool breezes as the ship sets sail, following the voyages of Vikings. The overnight journey will be 96 nautical miles, (110 miles) and will last approximately 7 hours. There is a retail store on board, as well as a choice of dining facilities.
Reviews & Photos
We love hearing your stories and seeing your photos! Here are some moments other travelers captured on this package. Or check out our entire fan photo gallery.
- What should I know before I go? We've compiled a comprehensive checklist, including information on how to pay your balance due, flights & transfers, packing & luggage, and more.
- Do I need a visa or other documents? Are there any entry requirements? Please review the visa & entry requirements.
- Can I make changes to my trip? Have something a little different in mind? Just ask!
- Can I bring my kids? Are there any age restrictions? To book this package, you must be 18 or older. Your traveling companions must be 8 or older at time of travel.
- Should I purchase travel insurance? Yes! We recommend you purchase travel insurance to help protect you and your travel investment against the unexpected. For your convenience, we offer a plan provided by Travelex Insurance Services.
- What's the fine print? Review the terms & conditions for this package.
- What should I know about Canada? Check out our guide for practical travel tips, the best time to go, videos, and more.
More Common Questions
- Common Questions Answers to our travelers' most frequently asked questions.