Delectable Kuala Lumpur, Kuching, the gateway to Borneo, Batang Ai & Iban Longhouse excursion, Gunung Mulu National Park & Kota Kinabalu; optional extension to Penang Island
|Style||Small Group TourTravel with a small, intimate group of no more than 16 likeminded travelers (and often much fewer), escorted by an English speaking guide and/or tour manager for some or all of your journey. More of these packages
Dedicated tour escorts & guides throughout
|Departures||Group Size||24 travelers max|
|Themes||Active, Nature & Wildlife|
|What to Expect||This fast-paced, partially escorted tour package involves a significant amount of walking or hiking, often on uneven terrain and slippery terrain within the caves, requiring a high level of physical fitness to fully enjoy the trip. Note the infrastructure in some areas of Borneo is limited as roads may be bumpy with few rest stops. Travel safely and confidently with our new health & safety protocols.|
|Already booked?||Find everything you need to know before you go, including information about passport & visa requirements, flights, luggage, and more.|
Get updates about this package
Join us on a fascinating journey to the island of Borneo, Malaysia, where a mosaic of indigenous tribes, intriguing history, beautiful, ancient rain forests, rivers, caves and diversified wildlife await. In addition, you'll visit one of the most dynamic and fascinating Asian cities, Kuala Lumpur. Here you'll explore exotic markets, lantern-lit streets, temples and other remnants of Malaysia's unique and colorful heritage tucked among the skyscrapers, shopping malls, restaurants, exciting nightlife and other icons of modern life. All of this is yours in one, fantastic Borneo tour package for a price that is as amazing as the destination itself.
- Round-trip airfare from the US including fuel surcharges and taxes and fees
- All intra-Asia flights and ground transportation
- 13 nights in deluxe and superior first class hotels
- 28 Meals: 13 buffet breakfasts, 7 lunches, 8 dinners, including welcome and farewell dinners
- Comprehensive sightseeing tours
- Professional English speaking tour guides
- Optional Penang Island extension
Why you'll love it
- Have a panoramic city tour of Kuala Lumpur and visit a handicraft center
- Visit the Semenggoh Orangutan Rehabilitation Center followed by a panoramic tour of Kuching
- Sail by longboat to an authentic Iban longhouse for lunch
- Explore Gunung Mulu National Park's Lang and Deer Caves
- Discover Wind Cave and Clearwater Cave
- Enjoy a guided nature trek in Kinabalu Park
- Take a dip into Poring Hot Springs
Day 1: Depart USA
- Your fascinating journey begins this evening as you arrive at your international gateway to check in for your flight for Malaysia
Day 2: En route
- Early this morning, your flight takes off for Malaysia and crosses the International Date Line. You’ll “lose” a day in transit, but you’ll recover it on your return trip
Day 3: Arrive Kuala Lumpur
2 nights Pullman Kuala Lumpur City Center Hotel & Residences or similar.
- Arrive in Kuala Lumpur, the capital city of Malaysia
- After customs formalities, you'll be escorted to your luxury hotel to check in and rest from your flight
Day 4: Kuala Lumpur
Breakfast & dinner.
- Panoramic city tour of Kuala Lumpur
- Visit the Petronas Twin Towers, the world's tallest buildings until 2004
- Remainder of the day at leisure
- Meet with fellow traveling companions for a special welcome dinner
Full Day Itinerary: A city of contrasts, Kuala Lumpur blends modern skyscrapers with impressive historic buildings to create a unique cityscape. Today, enjoy a panoramic city tour including visits to the Petronas Twin Towers, the world's tallest buildings until 2004, King's Palace, the National Museum, the National Monument, the Moorish-style railway station, and the superb buildings at the Independence Square, where you can observe the contrast between historical architecture and modern skyscrapers in an abundant setting of greenery. Conclude the tour at a local handicraft center. Spend the rest of the afternoon at leisure, or join an optional half-day tour of Kuala Lumpur's countryside.
Tonight, enjoy a welcome dinner at a local restaurant for a typical Malay buffet dinner and a vibrant cultural performance.
Optional Excursion: Kuala Lumpur Countryside & Batu Caves (purchased locally). The area surrounding Kuala Lumpur abounds with cottage industries and nature reserves. See how beautiful pewter products are manufactured at the world famous Royal Selangor factory. Then stop by a batik factory and observe how this traditional fabric is designed and printed. The excursion concludes at the Batu Caves, the famous site of the annual Thaipusam festival in January and February, where almost a million devotees congregate. You'll pass a 140ft statue of the Hindu god Lord Murugan, the world's largest, as you climb the 272-steps to the top of a natural limestone cavern which houses a Hindu shrine. This optional excursion must be purchased locally.
Day 5: Kuala Lumpur & Kuching
3 nights Hilton Kuching or similar. Breakfast & dinner.
- Today, transfer to the airport for your flight to Kuching, the gateway to the legendary island of Borneo
- Upon arrival, you'll be escorted to your river-front luxury hotel to check in and rest from your flight
- Tonight, enjoy dinner with your travel companions
Day 6: Kuching
Breakfast, lunch & dinner.
- Half Day tour of the Semenggoh Orangutan Rehabilitation Center
- Panoramic Kuching city tour
- Dinner at a local restaurant
Full Day Itinerary: Today's half day of touring begins with a short scenic drive to the Semenggoh Orangutan Rehabilitation Center. Established in 1975, this 1800-acre virgin forest provides sanctuary to some of Malaysia's most protected wildlife. At the center, the orangutans are carefully nurtured and rehabilitated for eventual release into the jungle, their natural habitat. You will have the opportunity to learn about the rehabilitation process and to observe and photograph the orangutans from a distance. (Note: As the orangutans in Semenggoh are semi-wild, sightings cannot be guaranteed.)
Later, return to Kuching to discover the romance and charm of the city built during the White Rajah era. Enjoy lunch at a local restaurant before a panoramic city tour including, among other sites, a visit to Fort Margarita, Kuching's Chinatown, Cat statue, and the colorful Tua Pek Kong Chinese Temple, Return via the golden-domed City Mosque and through Old Kuching, crammed with spice dealers and textile shops. Pass by the heritage buildings of the White Rajah era, the Pavilion, the Square Tower, the Court House, the Charles Brooke Monument and the Post Office. View the Astana, the former residence of the White Rajahs from across the river at the Kuching Waterfront. Return to the hotel for the balance of the day at leisure.
Tonight, join your travel companions for dinner at a local restaurant renowned for its variety of seafood specialties.
Day 7: Kuching
- Enjoy a full day at leisure to explore Kuching your own, or take advantage of an exciting optional excursion to Bako National Park, one of the best places in Sarawak to see wildlife in its natural surroundings
Optional Excursion: Bako National Park (purchased locally). After arrival at Bako, a Malay fishing village built on stilts over the river, enjoy a 30-minute cruise on the South China Sea to reach this remote coastal park. Millions of years of erosion have sculpted a coastline of steep cliffs, rocky headlands, fantastically shaped arches and seastacks, and stretches of beautiful white, sandy beaches.
The park is a unique botanical treasure housing 25 distinct types of vegetation that form seven complete ecosystems. Your local guide will help you to explore these ecosystems on the well-marked jungle trails. Keep an eye out for some of the park's most famous residents: the rare, long-nosed Proboscis monkeys, macaque monkeys, silver leaf monkeys, sambar deer, Borneo bearded pigs, mousedeer, otter, and monitor lizards. After lunch, trek through the lush forest for more bird watching and wildlife viewing. This optional excursion must be purchased locally. Wildlife sightings and swimming are not guaranteed. Tour is subject to tide and weather conditions.
Day 8: Kuching & Batang Ai
2 nights Aiman Batang Ai Resort & Retreat or similar, Kuching. Breakfast, lunch & dinner.
- Depart Kuching for Batang Ai Jetty
- Lunch at a local restaurant in Lachau
- Evening at leisure and dinner at resort
Full Day Itinerary: This morning, depart Kuching for Batang Ai Jetty, passing through the scenic countryside consisting of quaint little towns, villages, paddy fields, pepper and oil palm plantations. En route, stop for lunch at Lachau, a small town on the way to Batang Ai. Sit back and enjoy the rest of the drive through the scenic countryside of rice fields, cocoa and rubber plantations, luxuriant tropical rainforest, wild orchids, and mountain ranges. Upon arrival at Hydro Lake, travel by shuttle ferry to your lakeside resort situated on the southern bank. Check in and relax before dinner at the resort's restaurant.
Day 9: Batang Ai & Longhouse Excursion
Breakfast, lunch & dinner.
- Sail by longboat across the lake down the Engkari River to an authentic Iban longhouse, an entire village under one roof
- Enjoy lunch in the longhouse
Full Day Itinerary: A special treat awaits you today as you sail by longboat across the lake down the Engkari River to an authentic Iban longhouse, an entire village under one roof. Experience the legendary hospitality and charm of the locals as you learn about their fascinating culture. Enjoy a short cultural performance with traditional dance and music, followed by a blowgun demonstration. Enjoy lunch in the longhouse or a picnic lunch by the riverbank, depending on water conditions. Return to Batang Ai later this afternoon.
Day 10: Batang Ai & Kuching
1 night Hilton Kuching or similar. Breakfast & lunch.
- Lunch at a local restaurant en route to Kuching
- Check into the hotel and spend remainder of the day at leisure
Full Day Itinerary: Depart to Kuching via the same route as your arrival. Stop for lunch at a charming roadside town before continuing your journey. Upon arrival in Kuching, check into your hotel and spend remainder of the day at leisure.
Day 11: Kuching & Mulu
2 nights Mulu Marriott Resort & Spa or similar. Breakfast & dinner.
- Transfer to the Kuching airport for your flight to Mulu
- Upon arrival, transfer to your hotel for check-in
- This afternoon explore Gunung Mulu National Park's Lang and Deer Caves
Full Day Itinerary: Transfer to the airport for your flight to Mulu. Upon arrival, transfer to your hotel for check-in. This afternoon, take a short ride to the Gunung Mulu National Park, a treasure trove of biological diversity. Walk down the Mulu Canopy Skywalk, the longest tree-based walkway in the world, for unique views of the rain forest. Walk through ancient rainforest to the Deer and Lang Caves to tour limestone formations. Wait at Deer Cave Bat Observatory, where you will have the opportunity to watch the spectacular exodus of millions of bats (weather permitting). Return to your hotel this evening for dinner and overnight.
Day 12: Mulu
Breakfast, lunch & dinner.
- Today, depart by longboat to visit Wind Cave with a stop at the Penan Longhouse
- Later, proceed to Clearwater Cave for lunch and opportunity to swim in a natural pool
Full Day Itinerary: Today, depart by longboat on the Melinau River. Stop at the Penan settlement of Batu Bungan, renowned for its intricate handmade handicrafts, such as rattan baskets, mats and ornaments. Then on to explore the incredible cave formations within Mulu Park. You'll visit Wind Cave and Clearwater Cave, which exposes parts of a long underground river. After exploring the caves, enjoy lunch at the Clearwater resthouse and a leisurely swim at the natural pool outside the cave. Return to the hotel for dinner and overnight.
Day 13: Mulu & Kota Kinabalu
- Transfer to the airport for your flight to Kota Kinabalu
- Remainder of the day at leisure after check-in to hotel
Full Day Itinerary: Today, transfer to the airport for your flight to Kota Kinabalu, one of the most beautiful and relaxed cities in the world. You'll find sandy white beaches everywhere, and a water-temperature that is always pleasing. After check-in at your hotel, enjoy leisure time to explore your new surroundings.
Day 14: Kota Kinabalu
Breakfast & lunch
- Kinabalu Park guided nature trek
- Opportunity to take a dip into Poring Hot Springs
Full Day Itinerary: After breakfast, travel across the mountainous Crocker Range with a panoramic view of the countryside and soaring hills en route to Kinabalu Park and the Poring Hot Springs. Along the way, you can catch the magnificent sight of Mount Kinabalu, one of the highest peaks in Southeast Asia at 13,435 ft. The Park is a World Heritage Site with incredible amount of bio-diversity. Upon arrival, enjoy a guided nature trek along one of the many trails in the park before proceeding to Poring Hot Springs which offer visitors the opportunity for an invigorating dip into its hot sulfur springs. For a closer look at nature, take a canopy walk 100-200ft above the forest floor.
Day 15: Kota Kinabalu
Breakfast, lunch & dinner.
- After breakfast, enjoy a morning city tour of Kota Kinabalu
- Lunch at a local restaurant
- Enjoy a farewell dinner with your travel companions
Full Day Itinerary: Enjoy a morning city tour to discover Sabah, starting with a scenic drive through its capital city, Kota Kinabalu. The city, formerly known as "Singgahmata" or "the Place where the Eye Lingers", has risen from the destruction of the last world war to become a vibrant and modern city that still retains its traditional charms. See many places of interests such as the Wisma Tun Mustapha (Sabah Foundation Building), University Malaysia Sabah, Sabah State and City Mosque, and a Chinese Temple. If time permits, enjoy a brief stop along Signal Hill for a spectacular bird's eye view of the city and nearby islands and a chance to shop at a handicraft market. After lunch at a local restaurant, return to your hotel to relax and enjoy your last day in Kota Kinabalu. This evening, meet your fellow travelers for a farewell dinner, and share the memories of your adventures together.
Day 16: Depart Kota Kinabalu/Arrive to US
Transfer to the airport for your return flight to the US via Taipei or take advantage of your already included international airfare and join our Penang Island Extension (see below).
Penang Island Optional Extension
Extend your Borneo Adventure by adding Penang Island, a tropical paradise off the western coast of Malaysia, famous for its sandy beaches and luxuriant vegetation.
Day 16: Kota Kinabalu/Penang Island
3 nights Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang Resort & Spa or similar.
- Depart Kota Kinabalu for beautiful Penang Island
- Transfer to your deluxe beachfront hotel and enjoy the remainder of the day at leisure
Day 17: Penang Island
- Half day tour of Georgetown, the largest city on Penang Island
Full Day Itinerary: This morning, set out on a half day tour of Georgetown, the largest city on Penang Island. With its narrow streets and prewar shop houses, the town still maintains its colonial charm, while its diverse Chinese, Indian, and Malay population gives the island unique local flavor. Your tour will bring you to some of the city's most important sites: Fort Cornwallis, Street of Harmony, Little India, and Chinatown.
Day 18: Penang Island
- Enjoy a day at leisure to rest and unwind from your busy vacation
- Your resort hotel is nestled amidst tropical gardens with swaying palms. Enjoy beautiful pool or ocean swimming, a first-class spa, and other facilities
Day 19: Depart Penang/Arrive USA
- After breakfast this morning, bid farewell to Penang Island as you transfer to the airport for your return flight to the USA
Reviews & Photos
We love hearing your stories and seeing your photos! Here are some moments other travelers captured on this package. Or check out our entire fan photo gallery.
- What should I know before I go? We've compiled a comprehensive checklist, including information on how to pay your balance due, flights & transfers, packing & luggage, and more.
- Do I need a visa or other documents? Are there any entry requirements? Please review the visa & entry requirements.
- Can I make changes to my trip? Want to upgrade your seats? Stay a few extra days? Something else? Just ask!
- Can I bring my kids? Are there any age restrictions? To book this package, you must be 18 or older. Your traveling companions must be 12 or older at time of travel.
- Should I purchase travel insurance? Yes! We recommend you purchase travel insurance to help protect you and your travel investment against the unexpected. For your convenience, we offer a plan provided by Travelex Insurance Services.
- What's the fine print? Review the terms & conditions for this package.
- What should I know about Malaysia? Check out our guide for practical travel tips, the best time to go, videos, and more.
- What should I know about Borneo? Check out our guide for practical travel tips, the best time to go, videos, and more.
More Common Questions
- Common Questions Answers to our travelers' most frequently asked questions.