Best of Namibia
Climb the Sossusvlei sand dunes, Swakopmund, discover untamed Damaraland, 3 game drives in Etosha National Park & the capital of Windhoek
|Style||Small Group TourTravel with a small, intimate group of no more than 16 likeminded travelers (and often much fewer), escorted by an English speaking guide and/or tour manager for some or all of your journey. More of these packages
Dedicated tour escorts & guides throughout
|Departures||Group Size||12 travelers max|
|Themes||Active, Nature & Wildlife|
|What to Expect||This moderately-paced, escorted tour involves a reasonable amount of walking or hiking, and requires an average level of physical fitness to fully enjoy the trip. This tour also includes long scenic drives between destinations and may have limited rest stops. Travel safely and confidently with our new health & safety protocols.|
|Already booked?||Find everything you need to know before you go, including information about passport & visa requirements, flights, luggage, and more.|
Get updates about this package
We're pleased to bring you Best of Namibia, one of our most enthralling and off-the-beaten path tours yet. Discover the startling natural beauty of this small African nation on our 13-day comprehensive Namibia tour package. You'll experience all of the highlights of this fascinating country—from the shimmering salt pan and diverse wildlife of Etosha National Park, the enormous Sossusvlei sand dunes in the heart of the Namib desert, the rugged terrain of Damaraland, the ancient rock engravings at Twyfelfontein, the quaint coastal town of Swakopmund, and more.
- Round trip flights from New York via South African Airways wide-bodied jet service including fuel surcharges and taxes and fees
- Ground transportation and transfers within Namibia
- 10 nights in superior first class hotels , lodges and tented camps with private bath
- 29 Meals: 10 breakfasts, 9 lunches & 10 dinners
- Professional English-speaking tour directors
- Comprehensive touring program and safaris, including entrance fees
Why you'll love it
- Climb the dunes of Sossuvlei
- Relax on a Catamaran Dolphin Cruise in Swakopmund
- View the rock art and the Petrified Forest at Twyfelfontein
- Enjoy game drives in Etosha National Park
- Visit the Otjikandero Himba Village
- Stop at the AfriCat Foundation and meet some of the species' ambassadors
- Explore Windhoek on a walking tour
DAY 1: Depart USA
- Depart New York on your overnight flight to Namibia via Johannesburg.
DAY 2: Windhoek
1 night AVANI Windhoek Hotel & Casino, Windhoek, or similar. Dinner.
- Arrive today in Windhoek, Namibia's capital city. After customs formalities, transfer to your hotel for check-in.
DAY 3: Namib Desert & Sossusvlei
2 nights Le Mirage Desert Lodge on Oct 9 departure, Sossusvlei Lodge for all others. Breakfast, lunch & dinner.
- Drive from Windhoek to Namib Desert
- Afternoon nature drive and sundowner drinks
Full Day Itinerary: After breakfast this morning, depart south for the Namib Desert. Here you will be able to marvel at some of the highest sand dunes overlooking white desert plains. The Namib Desert is the gateway to the Sesriem Canyon and Sossusvlei. After lunch, the afternoon can be spent relaxing by the pool until your nature drive. Head out in open vehicles for breathtaking views over the desert plains, learning about the desert flora and fauna along the way. Ascend higher up the mountains for a spectacular sunset view while enjoying sundowner drinks and snacks. Return to the lodge for dinner.
DAY 4: Sossusvlei, Deadvlei & Sesriem Canyon
Breakfast, lunch & dinner.
- Morning tour to Sossusvlei of the Namib-Naukluft National Park
- Walk up the dunes and admire the Deadvlei
- Visit to the Sesriem Canyon
Full Day Itinerary: Set out early this morning to view one of the most spectacular sights in all of Namibia—the massive Sossusvlei sand dunes, reported to be the highest sand dunes in the world. Watch as the strong colors of these majestic red dunes change with the sun, making for excellent photo opportunities. Afterwards, visit the Sesriem Canyon before returning to the lodge this afternoon.
Optional Excursion: Afternoon Nature Drive by Quad Bike (Purchased locally). Experience the thrill of a nature drive by quad bike on the private reserve into the vast desert plains and up to the mountains. On this nature drive, have the chance to spot animals like Oryx, Springbok, Jackals and Bat-Eared Fox.
DAY 5: Swakopmund
2 nights Strand Hotel, Swakopmund. Breakfast, lunch & dinner.
- Take Kuiseb Pass through Kuiseb Canyon
- Afternoon at leisure to explore Swakopmund
Full Day Itinerary: This morning, head out on the Kuiseb Pass taking you through Kuiseb Canyon, as you drive towards the coast and the charming coastal resort of Swakopmund. Its palm-lined streets and seaside promenades give the town a pleasant, laid-back feel, while its colonial German architecture and numerous beer gardens recall a quaint German village. A favorite vacation spot for Namibians, Swakopmund offers excellent beaches, tasty restaurants and several other attractions including a local history museum, aquarium, crystal gallery, and brewery.
DAY 6: Swakopmund & Catamaran Cruise
Breakfast, lunch & dinner.
- Half Day Dolphin Cruise
- Afternoon Township tour
Full Day Itinerary: Today embark on a Catamaran Dolphin Cruise, departing from Walvis Bay Waterfront and continuing into the beautiful bay area. A shipwreck, lighthouse, oyster platforms, various bird species, seals and an abundance of marine life are just some of the attractions you will have a chance to see. Keep on the lookout for sightings of the Mola Mola (sunfish) and Leatherback Turtles! Relax on board in the saloon, on the trampolines, or on deck with a glass of Sparkling Wine and delicious trademark snack. This afternoon, tour the local township where you will learn about the locals’ daily lives. End the day with dinner at one of the many local restaurants in this quaint costal town.
DAY 7: Damaraland & Twyfelfontein
1 night Vingerklip Lodge, Damaraland. Breakfast, lunch & dinner.
- Visit Twyfelfontein, a UNESCO Hertiage site
- Travel to the Burnt Mountain, Organ Pipes and Petrified Forest
- Visit the Living Museum of Damara
Full Day Itinerary: Set out early this morning for Damaraland, a huge, untamed, and ruggedly beautiful region, often considered to be one of the last true wilderness areas in Africa. The scenic ride takes you via the Brandberg, Namibia’s highest mountain. Early this afternoon arrive to the Twyfelfontein valley, the site of Namibia’s Petrified Forest and largest collection of prehistoric rock art. Now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Twyfelfontein is home to more than 2,000 rock carvings estimated to be more than 3,000 years old and believed to be the work of the San Bushmen. These fascinating engravings are etched in red sandstone and depict giraffes, lions, hunters, and other symbols. After a visit to the nearby Living Museum of the Damara, proceed to the Petrified Forest and visit the Welwitschia mirabilis plant, the oldest living desert plant on Earth. Return to the lodge for dinner.
DAY 8: Himba Village & Etosha National Park
- Visit the Otjikandero Himba Village
- Enjoy a sundowner drive
Full Day Itinerary: After breakfast, depart for Etosha National Park, famous for its vast amount of wildlife and its unique landscape. Visit the Otjikandero Himba Village and learn about the ways of this traditional Namibian tribe. The Himba have managed to maintain much of their traditional lifestyle, living today as they have for centuries. Afterwards, enjoy a scenic picnic lunch en-route to the park. Late this afternoon, watch the sunset on a sundowner drive before returning to the lodge for dinner.
DAY 9: Etosha National Park
2 nights Mokuti Etosha Lodge. Breakfast, lunch & dinner.
- Full day game drive in Etosha National Park
Full Day Itinerary: After breakfast, drive through Andersson gate and continue your drive through Etosha National Park towards the Von Lindequest Gate. Etosha National Park, proclaimed in 1907 as Namibia’s first conservation area, is home to four of the Big Five: elephant, lion, leopard and rhino. After lunch, enjoy an afternoon game viewing drive.
DAY 10: Etosha National Park
Breakfast, lunch & dinner.
- Morning game drive
- Afternoon game drive
Full Day Itinerary: Today, enjoy two game drives at Etosha National Park, regarded as one of most interesting game-viewing reserves in the world because of its impressive abundance of wildlife and its unusual topography. Etosha, which means "place of dry water", sits upon a unique combination of an expansive dry lake (salt pan), grasslands, dense brush, and open plains, all of which makes for a stunning backdrop for viewing the nearly 100 different large mammal species—including the elephant, giraffe, zebra, leopard, lion, and black rhino—and more than 340 bird species that call Etosha home. Be sure to have your cameras ready as you make stops for close-up viewing at the various watering holes throughout the park.
DAY 11: AfriCat Foundation & Windhoek
1 night AVANI Windhoek Hotel & Casino, Windhoek, or similar. Breakfast, lunch & dinner.
- Visit the AfriCat Foundation
- Enjoy a guided tour of Windhoek with a visit to a craft market
- Enjoy a farewell dinner with your fellow travelers
Full Day Itinerary: Enjoy a leisurely breakfast this morning before departing for Windhoek. En route, stop in Okonjima, home of the AfriCat Foundation. The not-for-profit organization rehabilitates cheetahs, wild dogs and hyenas, providing the opportunity to see these beautiful carnivores in their natural environment. Visit the AfriCat Day Center for a light lunch and guided drive to the AfriCat Carnivore Care and Information Center to meet some of the species’ ambassadors.
Upon arrival in Windhoek, enjoy a guided tour of the city, including stops at the old brewery craft market and Diamond Works. This evening, join your fellow travelers for a farewell dinner at a local restaurant.
DAY 12: Depart Namibia
- Transfer to the airport for your overnight flight to New York via Johannesburg.
DAY 13: Arrive USA
- Your memorable Namibian adventure comes to an end today as you touch down this morning in New York.
Reviews & Photos
We love hearing your stories and seeing your photos! Here are some moments other travelers captured on this package. Or check out our entire fan photo gallery.
- What should I know before I go? We've compiled a comprehensive checklist, including information on how to pay your balance due, flights & transfers, packing & luggage, and more.
- Do I need a visa or other documents? Are there any entry requirements? Please review the visa & entry requirements.
- Can I make changes to my trip? Want to upgrade your seats? Depart from another city? Stay a few extra days? Something else? Just ask!
- Can I bring my kids? Are there any age restrictions? To book this package, you must be 21 or older. Your traveling companions must be 12 or older at time of travel.
- Should I purchase travel insurance? Yes! We recommend you purchase travel insurance to help protect you and your travel investment against the unexpected. For your convenience, we offer a plan provided by Travelex Insurance Services.
- What's the fine print? Review the terms & conditions for this package.
- What should I know about Namibia? Check out our guide for practical travel tips, the best time to go, videos, and more.
More Common Questions
- Common Questions Answers to our travelers' most frequently asked questions.