A Taste of Egypt
Discover ancient Egypt: Cairo, its capital; Aswan, gateway to Africa; Luxor, site of Luxor and Karnak temples; the iconic Pyramids of Cheops and Chephren; 3 nights aboard a deluxe Nile cruise ship.
|Style||Small Group TourTravel with a small, intimate group of no more than 16 likeminded travelers (and often much fewer), escorted by an English speaking guide and/or tour manager for some or all of your journey. More of these packages
Dedicated tour escorts & guides throughout
|Departures||January – December 2023||Group Size||16 travelers max|
|Themes||History & Culture, River Cruises|
|What to Expect||This fast-paced, escorted tour includes a reasonable amount of walking or hiking and requires an average level of physical fitness. Expect early wake up times and very long days in order to fit in all included visits. The Nile cruise portion of this tour can total up to 100 passengers. Travel safely and confidently with our new health & safety protocols.|
|Already booked?||Find everything you need to know before you go, including information about passport & visa requirements, flights, luggage, and more.|
Check prices & book now
Get updates about this package
Step back in time and discover the ancient wonders of Egypt on our A Taste of Egypt tour. Enjoy nine fascinating days exploring this historic country, starting in the sprawling capital city of Cairo, where East and West meet in a wonderful mix of precious antiquities and bustling modern life. Explore the treasures in the Egyptian Museum, browse the ancient bazaars and visit the Pyramids and Sphinx at Giza. Fly to Aswan and embark on a three-night deluxe Nile River cruise, touring the East Bank of the Nile from Aswan to Kom Ombo and Esna to Luxor and the Temple of Karnak. Egypt is known as the world's greatest outdoor museum, and you'll soon discover why it is a bucket list destination for world travelers.
- Round trip flights from New York (JFK) via EgyptAir, including taxes & fees
- Arrival & departure transfers with meeting, assistance and porterage
- All intra-Egypt flights and ground transportation
- 3 nights Deluxe hotel accommodations in Cairo
- 1 night Deluxe hotel accommodations in Aswan
- 3 nights aboard a 5-star Nile cruise ship in an outside, middle deck cabin
- 15 meals: 7 breakfasts, 5 lunches & 3 dinners
- All shore excursions on Nile Cruise
- Comprehensive touring program including entrance fees
- Professional English-speaking Egyptologist tour director and local guides
- Exciting optional excursions in Cairo and to Abu Simbel
Why you'll love it
- Spend 3 nights sailing along the Nile River aboard your deluxe Nile cruise ship.
- Browse the Egyptian Museum's extensive collection of ancient treasures.
- Marvel at the mysterious Sphinx and the great Pyramids of Cheops and Chephren.
- Tour the granite quarries at Aswan's High Dam, which controls the Nile and is Egypt's major source of hydroelectric power.
- Share a pot of tea with a family in a local village.
- View the unique and fascinating drawings at the Temple of Kom Ombo.
- Sail from Esna to Luxor, the capital of the New Kingdom and an important trade center of the ancient world.
- Visit the Temple of Karnak, one of the most signification monuments of the Pharaonic legacy.
- Explore the Valley of the Kings, once a royal burial ground for pharaohs.
- Discover the ancient mysteries of King Tut on an included tour of his tomb in Luxor.
Itinerary at a Glance
- 1 Depart USA
- 2 Cairo
- 3 Cairo, Pyramids & Sphinx, Aswan
- 4 Aswan
- Optional Excursion: Abu Simbel, $350
- 5 Kom Ombo & Esna
- 6 Luxor
- 7 Luxor & Cairo
- Optional Excursion: Hot Air Balloon (purchased locally), $130
- 8 Cairo
- Optional Excursion: Citadel of Saladin & Khan El Khalili Bazaar, $50
- Optional Excursion: Memphis & Sakkara, $60
- Optional Excursion: Walking Tour Along El Moez Street and Dinner, $50
- 9 Cairo/USA
Dates & Prices
Dates & Prices
Dates & Prices, with flights
per person, double occupancy*, including Instant Savings discounts
Departs U.S.: Tue, Jan 17, 2023
Finishes: Wed, Jan 25, 2023
Book by Thu, Dec 22, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! Jan 17 – Jan 25
Departs U.S.: Tue, Feb 14, 2023
Finishes: Wed, Feb 22, 2023
Book by Thu, Dec 22, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! Feb 14 – Feb 22
Departs U.S.: Tue, Mar 7, 2023
Finishes: Wed, Mar 15, 2023
Mar 7 – Mar 15
Departs U.S.: Tue, Mar 14, 2023
Finishes: Wed, Mar 22, 2023
Book by Thu, Dec 22, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! Mar 14 – Mar 22
Departs U.S.: Tue, Apr 25, 2023
Finishes: Wed, May 3, 2023
Book by Thu, Dec 22, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! Apr 25 – May 3
Departs U.S.: Tue, May 9, 2023
Finishes: Wed, May 17, 2023
Book by Thu, Dec 22, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! May 9 – May 17
Departs U.S.: Tue, May 23, 2023
Finishes: Wed, May 31, 2023
Book by Thu, Dec 22, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! May 23 – May 31
Departs U.S.: Tue, Jun 20, 2023
Finishes: Wed, Jun 28, 2023
Book by Thu, Dec 22, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! Jun 20 – Jun 28
Departs U.S.: Tue, Jul 25, 2023
Finishes: Wed, Aug 2, 2023
Jul 25 – Aug 2
Departs U.S.: Tue, Aug 15, 2023
Finishes: Wed, Aug 23, 2023
Book by Thu, Dec 22, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! Aug 15 – Aug 23
Departs U.S.: Tue, Sep 5, 2023
Finishes: Wed, Sep 13, 2023
Book by Thu, Dec 22, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! Sep 5 – Sep 13
Departs U.S.: Tue, Sep 26, 2023
Finishes: Wed, Oct 4, 2023
Sep 26 – Oct 4
Departs U.S.: Tue, Oct 10, 2023
Finishes: Wed, Oct 18, 2023
Book by Thu, Dec 22, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! Oct 10 – Oct 18
Departs U.S.: Tue, Oct 17, 2023
Finishes: Wed, Oct 25, 2023
Book by Thu, Dec 22, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! Oct 17 – Oct 25
Departs U.S.: Thu, Nov 23, 2023
Finishes: Fri, Dec 1, 2023
Book by Thu, Dec 22, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! Nov 23 – Dec 1
Departs U.S.: Tue, Dec 5, 2023
Finishes: Wed, Dec 13, 2023
Book by Thu, Dec 22, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! Dec 5 – Dec 13
Departs U.S.: Tue, Dec 19, 2023
Finishes: Wed, Dec 27, 2023
Book by Thu, Dec 22, 2022 (midnight ET) to get the Instant Savings! Dec 19 – Dec 27
If you want a few extra days to explore on your own, we may be able to arrange for you to stay later than the scheduled dates, including extra hotel nights and separate airport transfers, for an additional charge. Ask us about prices and availability when (or after) you book. More information Want to extend your trip?
Options & Fees
|A Taste of Egypt|
|May 9, 2023; May 23, 2023; Jun 20, 2023; Jul 25, 2023; Aug 15, 2023||$599|
|Sep 5, 2023; Sep 26, 2023; Oct 10, 2023; Oct 17, 2023; Nov 23, 2023; Dec 5, 2023||$699|
|Dec 19, 2023||$799|
|All other dates||$649|
|Discounted Optional Excursions Package||$150|
|Abu Simbel Optional Tour|
|Jan 17, 2023; Feb 14, 2023; Mar 7, 2023; Mar 14, 2023; Apr 25, 2023; May 9, 2023; May 23, 2023; Jun 20, 2023; Jul 25, 2023; Aug 15, 2023||$350|
|All other dates||$330|
So that we can offer you the best deals, our packages are, like most hotels and cruises, priced based on double occupancy rooms or cabins. We charge solo travelers an extra fee to cover the extra costs of single occupancy rooms or cabins. (Consider: if you booked a $200/night hotel room solo, you would pay the $200 yourself; but if a couple booked the same room, each one would pay only $100.) But you only pay extra for the rooms or cabins, nothing else, including meals, sightseeing, tips, etc. Why are single rooms more?
Flights & Departure Cities
|New York Kennedy (JFK)||included|
This package includes round-trip flights from the city listed above. Please review the flight schedule, especially if you're booking connecting flights.
Want to fly from another city? Unfortunately, we don't offer flights from other cities, but you can book your own connecting flights.
Day 1 Depart USA
- Check in for your overnight flight for Cairo
Day 2 Cairo
- Arrive in Cairo and transfer to your hotel
- Enjoy the afternoon at leisure
Hilton Cairo Zamalek Residences or similarFull Day Itinerary
Arrive in Cairo, where East and West come together in a wonderful mix of old and new. After customs formalities, you'll be met by our representatives in Cairo and escorted to your centrally located hotel overlooking the Nile River. You'll have the rest of the afternoon to relax after your long flight or explore independently.
Day 3 Cairo, Pyramids & Sphinx, Aswan
- Tour the Pyramids of Cheops and Chephren
- Discover the treasures of the Egyptian Museum
- Evening flight from Cairo to Aswan
Mövenpick Resort Aswan Breakfast & lunchFull Day Itinerary
This morning, your guide will escort you on a fascinating tour of the most famous of all sites in Egypt—the Pyramids of Cheops and Chephren. These monuments have stood for 46 centuries and may be the most visited in Egypt. The Sphinx, a feline character with the body of a lion and the face of Khufu (Cheops in Greek), is 50 meters long and 22 meters high. Carved from a single stone, it lies just before the Pyramids, and even today, its meaning and origin remain shrouded in mystery.
After lunch, enjoy a tour of Cairo, beginning at the Egyptian Museum, where you'll view, among other treasures, the priceless antiquities of Tutankhamun's tomb.
This evening, transfer to the airport for your short flight to Aswan, the gateway to Africa for the ancient Egyptians. Originally called "Sain" from "sanite," the red granite extracted from its quarries, Aswan became a hub of trade in spices, leather, ivory, fruit, grains, baskets, and mummified and living crocodiles.
Day 4 Aswan
- Optional Tour - Abu Simbel
- See Aswan's High Dam and the granite quarries
- Enjoy a tour by felucca
MS Tulip Breakfast, lunch & dinnerFull Day Itinerary
Early this morning, take advantage of an optional excursion to the temple complex of Abu Simbel.See Aswan's High Dam, which controls the Nile and is a significant source of hydroelectric power in Egypt. Also, tour the granite quarries where a partially carved and cracked obelisk will demonstrate how the giant forms were hewn from the solid rock. Continue to the pier for embarkation aboard your deluxe Nile cruise ship. Settle into your cabin and enjoy lunch on board.Enjoy a tour by felucca (a small, swift Egyptian sailboat) before returning to your cruise ship for dinner.
Overnight in AswanOptional Excursion: Abu Simbel, $350
Early this morning, fly from Aswan to nearby Abu Simbel, the site of the Great Temple of Ramses II, one of the most magnificent of all temples in Egypt and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Part of the Nubian Monuments, the twin temples of Abu Simbel were initially carved out of the mountainside during the reign of Ramses II in the 13th century BCE as a lasting tribute to himself and his queen Nefertiti. After the creation of Lake Nasser, formed by the building of Aswan High Dam in 1968, the Abu Simbel complex was relocated in its entirety high above the reservoir. After exploring the temple complex, return to Aswan.
Day 5 Kom Ombo & Esna
- Visit Philae Temple and enjoy a cup of tea at a Nubian house
- Tour the Temple of Kom Ombo
MS Tulip Breakfast, lunch & dinnerFull Day ItineraryVisit Philae Temple, the holiest site for Isis worshippers for centuries. The temple was officially closed down in the 6th century CE. by the Byzantine emperor Justinian and was the last pagan temple to exist in the Mediterranean world. After the construction of the Aswan Dam, the half-submerged temple complex was completely dismantled and rebuilt to the original specifications on the nearby island of Agilika, which was reshaped and landscaped to resemble the original Philae. Metal pylons on the old island of Philae can still be seen rising from the water to the south of Agilika. Then enjoy a cup of tea in a Nubian house and learn about the local Nubian culture!After lunch aboard the cruise ship, sail to Kom Ombo, where, in ancient times, sacred crocodiles basked in the sun on the river bank. The Temple of Kom Ombo is unique in all of Egypt and is shared by the two gods Sobek and Haroeris. These Ptolemaic temples overlook the Nile and feature fascinating renderings on the walls, including detailed drawings of surgical instruments.
After dinner onboard, enjoy an Egyptian Galabeya Party onboard the ship.
Overnight in Esna
Day 6 Luxor
- Sail to Luxor
- Tour the East Bank of the Nile and the Temple of Karnak and Luxor Temple
MS Tulip Breakfast, lunch & dinnerFull Day Itinerary
Visit the East Bank of the Nile. Highlights of today's tour include visits to the Temple of Karnak, one of the most significant monuments of the Pharaonic legacy, with work carried out on the temples over 1500 years, and Luxor Temple, strikingly graceful and enhanced over the centuries by Tutankhamun, Ramses II, Alexander the Great, and others.
After dinner onboard, enjoy a Belly Dancer and Tanoura show.
Overnight in Luxor
Day 7 Luxor & Cairo
- Disembark after breakfast
- Tour the West Bank of the Nile and the Valley of the Kings via motor coach
- Visit the mortuary Temple of Queen Hatshepsut
- Discover the ancient tomb of King Tutankhamun
Hilton Cairo Zamalek Residences or similar Breakfast & lunchFull Day Itinerary
After breakfast, disembark and board your touring coach to visit the West Bank of the Nile and the Valley of the Kings, where 64 of Egypt's Pharaohs have their royal tombs hewn into the sheer rock. Continue to the impressive Deir El Bahari mortuary Temple of Queen Hatshepsut, an architectural wonder built against a looming cliff face backdrop, and the Colossi of Memnon, two giant seated statues of Amenhotep III. Afterward, discover the ancient tomb of King Tutankhamun, commonly referred to as King Tut. Explore the rooms covered in mural paintings and the burial chamber, which still contains the pharaoh's mummy in its original sarcophagus.
Then, transfer to the airport for your short flight back to Cairo. Upon arrival, transfer to your hotel for check-in and overnight.Optional Excursion: Hot Air Balloon (purchased locally), $130
Day 8 Cairo
- Day at leisure or join an optional excursion
Hilton Cairo Zamalek Residences or similar BreakfastOptional Excursion: Citadel of Saladin & Khan El Khalili Bazaar, $50
This morning, visit the Citadel of Saladin, built on the remains of a Crusader-style fortress and the Alabaster Mosque. Later visit the Khan El Khalili Bazaar. Embrace the spices as you admire exotic clothing, jewelry, hand-hammered copper, ceramic ware, and other treasures that await your deft bargaining to win them at astounding prices.Optional Excursion: Memphis & Sakkara, $60Optional Excursion: Walking Tour Along El Moez Street and Dinner, $50
This evening, enjoy a guided walk along El Moez Street, one of Cairo's oldest and most amazing streets, dating back to the Fatimid period from the 10th to the 12th centuries CE. Begin at Azhar mosque, one of the best medieval architectural treasures in the Islamic world. Continue to Bab Zuweila, a medieval gate in Cairo considered one of the city's major landmarks, and Al Hussein Mosque, named for the grandson of the Prophet Muhammed and one of the holiest Islamic sites in Cairo.
Walk by Al-Hakim Mosque, Bab al-Fetouh, and Bab al-Nasr, two of the three remaining massive fortified gates in the walls of the Old City of Cairo with rectangular stone towers flanking the semicircular arch of the eastern Portal. Proceed to the Mosque-Madrassa of Sultan Hassan, remarkable for its size and innovative architectural components, and the Mosque of Ibn Tulun, the oldest mosque in the city surviving in its original form.
Afterward, enjoy dinner at a local restaurant.
Day 9 Cairo/USA
- Bid farewell to Egypt as you're escorted to the airport for your return flight
- Arrive in the USA later today
Save by pre-booking a discounted package of our most popular optional excursions:
- Citadel of Saladin & Khan El Khalili Bazaar ($50)
- Walking Tour of El Moez Street and Dinner ($50)
- Memphis & Sakkara ($60)
You can book these excursions individually in Egypt. But you can save if you purchase this special package ahead of time—with or before your final payment. These are not "seat in coach" excursions that pick up passengers at various hotels; all are operated for Friendly Planet groups only.
Hotels & Ship
Hilton Cairo Zamalek Residences is located in the heart of Cairo on the Zamalek island, right in the city's center. The hotel is just steps from the Egyptian Museum, Cairo Opera House, and Andalos Park.
Mövenpick Resort Aswan is located on its own island, Elephantine Island, in the middle of the Nile River in Aswan. Lush gardens and views of the Nile surround the resort. The resort includes a birdwatching station, a deer farm, a fish pond, and an organic farm.
In the unlikely event that a particular hotel is not available, a similar or better hotel may be substituted.
Wings Group welcomes you aboard their newly renovated five-star M/S Tulip cruise ship. Your deluxe cruise along the Nile will take you back thousands of years to places where history unfolded and unearthed the romances of Cleopatra, some of the wonders of the ancient world, and impressive structures mysteriously built without modern technology.
Reviews & Photos
We love hearing your stories and seeing your photos! Here are some moments other travelers captured on this package. Or check out our entire fan photo gallery.
- What should I know before I go? We've compiled a comprehensive checklist, including information on how to pay your balance due, flights & transfers, packing & luggage, and more.
- Do I need a visa or other documents? Are there any entry requirements? Travel visas are required for this package. Please review the visa & entry requirements.
- Can I make changes to my trip? Want to upgrade your seats? Stay a few extra days? Something else? Just ask!
- Can I bring my kids? Are there any age restrictions? To book this package, you must be 18 or older. Your traveling companions must be 8 or older at time of travel.
- Should I purchase travel insurance? Yes! We recommend you purchase travel insurance to help protect you and your travel investment against the unexpected. For your convenience, we offer a plan provided by Travelex Insurance Services.
- What's the fine print? Review the terms & conditions for this package.
- What should I know about Egypt? Check out our guide for practical travel tips, the best time to go, videos, and more.
- What should I know about Jordan? Check out our guide for practical travel tips, the best time to go, videos, and more.
More Common Questions
- Common Questions Answers to our travelers' most frequently asked questions.