Discover Spain 2019
The energetic capital of Madrid, then to Andalusia for Moorish Cordoba, historic Seville, Granada & the Alhambra; optional extension to Barcelona
|Style||Value VacationTravel in larger groups than our Small Group tours, but at fantastic value prices. These group tour packages are operated by our carefully selected partners and may be shared with other English speaking passengers ensuring guaranteed departures. More of these packages
Dedicated tour escorts & guides throughout
|Departures||Group Size||27 travelers max|
|Themes||History & Culture|
|What to Expect||This moderately-paced, escorted tour includes a reasonable amount of walking or hiking and requires an average level of physical fitness. This tour operates with a maximum of 27 passengers. Travel safely and confidently with our new health & safety protocols.|
|Already booked?||Find everything you need to know before you go, including information about passport & visa requirements, flights, luggage, and more.|
Get updates about this package
Spain has long ranked among the hottest travel destinations in the world—and with good reason. From the cosmopolitan capital cities, sun-drenched beaches, and medieval hilltop towns, to the fascinating cultural legacies and architectural treasures galore, Spain offers endless travel possibilities for every type of visitor.
If you've dreamed of visiting this fascinating country, join us on our 8-day escorted tour of Spain, a fantastic celebration of cultural splendors and natural beauty of the Iberian Peninsula. You'll discover the richness and complexity of Spain when you visit Madrid, its chic capital city, travel to the colorful Andalucian town of Seville, as well as visit the captivating historical cities of Cordoba and Granada, and the many stops in between.
Everything you need to explore Spain—from convenient flights, transfers, luxury hotels in fabulous locations in the heart of each city, buffet breakfast daily and 3 dinners, and a comprehensive sightseeing tour program—are part of this deal.
- Round-trip flights from New York (JFK) or Newark (EWR) including fuel surcharges and taxes and fees
- All ground transportation and transfers
- 6 Nights accommodations in First Class hotels
- 9 Meals: 6 breakfasts and 3 dinners
- Comprehensive touring program including entrance fees
- Wine tasting with tapas, Flamenco dance lesson, and visit an Andalusian horse farm
- Advanced audio headsets enhanced tour system
- Professional, English-speaking tour director/guide
- Optional Independent Barcelona Extension
- Included flights may have a connection in LIS, ZRH, MUC, YYZ, or similar. Non-stop flights may be available for an additional cost.
Why you'll love it
- Walk through Toledo and visit St. Tome Church
- Enjoy a panoramic tour of Madrid with a visit to the Royal Palace
- Stroll through the gardens of Aranjuez
- Learn about wine-making in La Mancha and enjoy a tasting with tapas
- Discover the wonders of Alhambra and the Generalife Gardens
- Tour Seville's highlights, including the famous Giralda Cathedral
- Take an introductory Flamenco lesson
- Visit an Andalusian horse farm
- View the Mezquita followed by a walking tour of Cordoba
Itinerary at a Glance
Day 1 Depart USA/Overnight Flight
- Depart the USA on your overnight flight for Madrid
Day 2 Madrid
- Transfer to your hotel
- Balance of the day at leisure
- Meet your guide and traveling companions during a welcome orientation at 7:00 pm
NH Collection Madrid Abascal or similarFull Day Itinerary
Upon arrival and after clearing customs formalities, transfer to your centrally located hotel for check in. Most flights arrive early in the morning, but your hotel will allow you to safely store your luggage while you explore the city on your own. Enjoy the remainder of the day at leisure to rest or explore your new surroundings, or maybe visit the Prado Museum, which is just a short drive from your hotel.
At 7:00 pm this evening, enjoy a welcome drink and orientation with your guide and traveling companions.
Day 3 Toledo & Madrid
- Travel to Toledo for a walking tour and view the Holy Church Cathedral and St. Tome Church
- Enjoy a panoramic tour of Madrid
- Visit the Royal Palace
NH Collection Madrid Abascal or similar BreakfastFull Day Itinerary
After breakfast, depart for your tour of Toledo. During the 8th century, Toledo was the capital of Spain and the royal residence. During this period, Muslim, Christian and Jewish communities lived together peacefully, turning Toledo into a great cultural center. This morning, walk along the city's narrow streets where history can be felt in the air. View the exterior of the Holy Church Cathedral and later visit the St Tome Church, where you will see El Greco's masterpiece, The Burial of the Count of Orgaz, on display. Then, have some free time in Toledo for an independent lunch.
Return to Madrid, driving through the main avenues of Alcala Street, Puerta del Sol and pass by Plaza de España, Teatro Real and Parliament. See the elegant monumental fountains of Cibeles and Neptuno on Castellana Avenue. Then, visit the Royal Palace, or Palacio Real as it’s known in Spanish. The Royal Palace is used by the King of Spain for state ceremonial activities. You will also see the Royal Armoury, the Royal Pharmacy, lavish halls and throne room.
Enjoy the evening at leisure in Madrid.
Day 4 Madrid, La Mancha & Granada
- View the gardens of Aranjuez
- Visit a traditional wine producer
- Enjoy a wine tasting with tapas
Hotel Occidental Granada or similar Breakfast & dinnerFull Day Itinerary
After breakfast, depart Madrid and travel to Granada. En route, enjoy a view of the magnificent gardens of Aranjuez, full of centenary trees. Continue south to discover the large flat region of "La Mancha", Spain's largest wine producing area. Visit a traditional wine producer to learn about the wine-making process as well as some secrets of the trade. Your visit concludes with a tasting of three different wines with tapas of ham, local cheese, and bread, the best way to experience Spanish wines.
Arrive later today in Granada, located in the heart of Andalusia.
Day 5 Granada, La Alhambra & Generalife Gardens & Seville
- Enjoy a half-day tour of Alhambra
- Visit the Generalife Gardens
Hotel Sevilla Center or similar Breakfast & dinnerFull Day Itinerary
Granada remained under Muslim rule for more than seven centuries until 1492, when it became the last Spanish city to be conquered by the Christians. Today, the city retains much of its Islamic heritage, as evidenced in particular by the various examples of Moorish architecture throughout the city. Enjoy a half-day tour to one of the most awe-inspiring architectural splendors in the world—the Alhambra. Constructed over hundreds of years and completed in the 15th century, the Alhambra is an impressive complex of fortresses, palaces, and gardens. Also, learn about the sophisticated royal life in the Nazari Islamic kingdom. Conclude your visit with the famous and beautiful Generalife Gardens with its many fountains. In the afternoon, depart for Seville and enjoy dinner at your hotel.
Note: The Oct 13, 2019 departure will stay at the Exe Sevilla Macarena.
Day 6 Seville
- Enjoy a morning walking tour of Seville
- Experience an introductory Flamenco lesson
Hotel Sevilla Center or similar BreakfastFull Day Itinerary
Today's morning tour of Seville highlights the city's must-see sites, including the famous Giralda Cathedral, one of the world's largest Gothic-style cathedrals. Inside you'll find four statues supporting a casket that is said to hold the remains of Christopher Columbus. You can also walk up the cathedral's tower, a striking minaret of the former mosque. Later, walk through the Santa Cruz quarter, a maze of peaceful and attractive small alleys and squares. After the tour concludes, you may want to visit to the magnificent Alcazar, a royal residence and stunning example of Mudejar architecture, characterized by arched doorways, intricate designs, colorful tiles, and a beautiful garden labyrinth of lush green shrubs. It is recommended to purchase tickets in advance to avoid long lines.
This afternoon, you will enjoy an introductory Flamenco lesson with a professional dancer. Return to your hotel for overnight.
Note: The Oct 13, 2019 departure will stay at the Exe Sevilla Macarena.Optional Excursion: Evening Flamenco Show (purchased locally)
Later this evening, enjoy a professional Flamenco show.
Day 7 Seville, Cordoba, & Madrid
- Visit an Andalusian horse farm
- Travel to Cordoba for a walking tour
- Enjoy a farewell dinner
NH Collection Madrid Abascal or similar Breakfast & dinnerFull Day Itinerary
After breakfast, visit an Andalusian horse farm (yeguada) to see an authentic day of training and learn about the breeding and taming of these amazing horses. Afterwards,travel north to Cordoba. Cordoba, one of the most important and largest cities in the medieval world, was the capital of the Caliphate in the 9th and 10th centuries. Your guide will lead you on a walking tour of the city, including a visit to the Mezquita, a 10th century mosque with dazzling rows of red-and-white-striped, horseshoe-shaped arches. In the 16th century, after the Spanish Reconquista, a Catholic cathedral was inserted inside the mosque, making the Mezquita a unique testament to Spain's diverse history. Later, walk through the narrow streets of the Jewish Quarter.
Later today, arrive in Madrid and join your fellow travelers for a farewell dinner.
Day 8 Madrid/USA
- Transfer to the airport for your return flight to the USA
Barcelona Independent Optional Excursion
Take advantage of your already included international airfare and spend three more exciting days in Barcelona, Spain. You will return to the USA 3 days later than the dates listed on the Dates & Prices tab.
Day 8 Madrid/Barcelona
- Board the high-speed AVE train for Barcelona
- Upon arrival, have an introductory meeting with a local host
Barcelona Center or similar BreakfastFull Day Itinerary
Transfer to the Madrid train station for your journey to Barcelona on the high-speed AVE train. Upon arrival, you will be met and transferred to your centrally located hotel. You will have an introductory meeting with a local host to help you plan your visit. Some points of interest you may wish to explore on your own are Gaudi's Parc Guell or La Sagrada Familia. It is recommended to purchase tickets before your departure. Another recommendation is a visit to the famous Boqueria Market, with its vibrant stalls selling fruit, meat, cheese, and more.
Day 9 Barcelona
- Morning at leisure
- Enjoy an afternoon walking tour of Barcelona
Barcelona Center or similar BreakfastFull Day Itinerary
This morning will be at leisure. This afternoon, enjoy a guided walking tour of the oldest part of downtown Barcelona, the Gothic quarter. Visit the Gothic Cathedral of Barcelona, then walk through the maze of little streets where you will see splendid palaces and institutions such as the Generalitat (regional government) and city hall. Also, visit the St. Maria del Mar, a splendid example of Gothic Art. The walking tour will end in Las Ramblas. The balance of the day will be at leisure.
Day 10 Barcelona
- Full day at leisure or join an optional tour
Barcelona Center or similar BreakfastOptional Excursion: Traditional Spanish Cooking Class (purchased locally)
Learn to cook some of Spain's most famous dishes, such as paella or Spanish omelet! Today you will join a hands-on cooking lesson with a professional local cook. After the lesson, enjoy the meal you have prepared with your fellow travelers! (Wine and water included. Subject to availability). Cost is approx. €80 per person.
Day 11 Barcelona/USA
- Transfer to the airport for your return flight to the USA
The 4 star NH Collection Madrid Abascal hotel resides in a beautifully restored former embassy building in the heart of Chamberi, the busines district. The famous Paseo de la Castellana is a short walk giving guests easy access to the public transportation system to explore the city. Hop on a bus or train and visit the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium, Plaza de Espana, Puerta del Sol, and many museums and cultural attractions. 183 Stylish guest rooms combine classical decor and modern sophistication to make anyone feel right at home. Everything in the room is designed for comfort and convenience such as the in-room Nespresso maker and the multi-function shower jets. DOMA, the hotel's restaurant, and LA Barra de Diego Cabrera have all of your meals covered. Grab a freshly prepared breakfast at the buffet or snacks, small dishes, and formal modern Spanish food prepared by star chefs Paco Roncero and Angel Aylagas at DOMA Abascal.
The Occidental Granada Hotel is centrally located, only a 10-minute walk from the historical center, and near Granada’s new metro. Granada’s Conference and Exhibition Center and Science Park are just a few steps away.The hotel has 141 fully equipped rooms with wooden floors and decorated in warm colors. All rooms are also equipped with free Wi-Fi, minibar, flat-screen TV with satellite channels, hairdryer and safe.
Hotel Sevilla Center is a four-star property centrally located near many attactions. The Nervion Mall, Plaza de Espana, Alcazar, Seville Cathedral and Maria Luisa Park are all within 1 mile of the hotel.The amenities include complimentary internet access, a panoramic view restaurant, bar, fitness center and swimming pool.
The Hotel Barcelona Center is located in the heart of the Eixample district minutes from Casa Batllo and Casa Mila. Popular sites such as Palau de la Musica Catalana, Sagrade Familia, and Placa de Catalunya are also within walking distance.
In the unlikely event that a particular hotel is not available, a similar or better hotel may be substituted.
Reviews & Photos
We love hearing your stories and seeing your photos! Here are some moments other travelers captured on this package. Or check out our entire fan photo gallery.
- What should I know before I go? We've compiled a comprehensive checklist, including information on how to pay your balance due, flights & transfers, packing & luggage, and more.
- Do I need a visa or other documents? Are there any entry requirements? Please review the visa & entry requirements.
- Can I make changes to my trip? Want to upgrade your seats? Depart from another city? Stay a few extra days? Something else? Just ask!
- Can I bring my kids? Are there any age restrictions? To book this package, you must be 18 or older. Your traveling companions must be 8 or older at time of travel.
- Should I purchase travel insurance? Yes! We recommend you purchase travel insurance to help protect you and your travel investment against the unexpected. For your convenience, we offer a plan provided by Travelex Insurance Services.
- What's the fine print? Review the terms & conditions for this package.
- What should I know about Spain? Check out our guide for practical travel tips, the best time to go, videos, and more.
More Common Questions
- Common Questions Answers to our travelers' most frequently asked questions.