Fast Facts: Switzerland

Below are some of the most common questions from our travelers.

Do I need a passport? What is required for entry?

Please see specific entry requirements provided by our partner, VisaHQ.

In general, to travel abroad, U.S. citizens must have a passport which should be valid for at least six months after your return date. Many countries also require a travel visa for entry. Some countries issue visas upon arrival, but in most cases, you need to obtain visas prior to travel.

More information about passports & visas.

What is the weather like?

Spring, summer and autumn are all very fair in Switzerland despite snow on its highest peaks year-round. June and July are when the alpine wildflowers bloom; they are also the peak season for tourists. Take a sweater no matter when you travel, and an umbrella. Click here for the current forecast in Switzerland.

What is required for entry?

U.S. and Canadian citizens need a valid passport.

Are there any health precautions I should take?

There are no health requirements to enter Switzerland.

CDC Website link:
WHO website link:

What is the currency?

Switzerland uses the Swiss franc, but in tourist regions the euro is often accepted as well. The rate of the franc seems to follow that of the euro very closely. ATMs are abundant; most accept major bank cards and credit cards, and they dispense Swiss francs at the going rate of exchange. For updated currency exchange info, click here.

Are tips & service charges customary?

A 15% service charge is included in the price of all services and on your hotel bill. Round up taxi and restaurant bills if the service has been good.

What items should I shop for?

When shopping in Switzerland, look for watches, crystal, embroidered items, clocks, pottery, Swiss army knives, lace, cowbells, antiques, cutlery, ski clothing and equipment, shoes, chocolate, cheese, and liquors.

What are the voltage requirements?

230 volts. Plug J. You will need a voltage converter and plug adapter in order to use U.S. appliances. We recommend getting a universal adapter and converter kit. Click here for more information about electrical standards around the world.

Can I take my cell phone?

See our blog post on using your cell phone abroad.