Fast Facts: Russia

Below are some of the most common questions from our travelers.

Do I need a passport? What is required for entry?

U.S. citizens must have a passport, which should contain at least 2 blank pages and be valid for at least six months after your return date. Passports expiring before then should be renewed as soon as possible.

Many countries also require a travel visa for entry. Some countries issue visas upon arrival, but in most cases, you need to obtain visas prior to travel. Airlines and cruises may deny boarding and your tour may be disrupted if your visa is not in order.

For U.S. citizens booked on a tour or package with Scheduled Dates, we will send you complete visa instructions and application forms after you book.

If you hold a passport from another country, or are not booked on a tour with Scheduled Dates, you are responsible for obtaining your own visa and meeting all entry requirements. If a visa is required, we recommend using a fee-based visa service, such as our preferred provider VisaHQ.

What is the weather like?

The best time to visit Russia is May through September. Temperatures range from the 70's-90's in the day to the 50's-70's at night. Be aware that the spring and fall are unpredictable with flurries showing up in May and September, and mud ensuing. Take along waterproof shoes and a jacket.

Click here for the current forecast in parts of Russia.

Are there any health precautions I should take?

No vaccination requirements for international travelers. It is strongly recommended that you purchase travel insurance to cover any medical expenses while traveling in Russia.

Center for Disease Control:
World Health Organization:

What is the currency?

The currency in Russia is the ruble. Click here for updated currency info on the ruble.

Are tips & service charges customary?

It is not customary. At most, tip 10% in restaurants for exceptional service.

What are the best items to shop for?

The best items to shop for in Russia are wall plaques and tiles, sculpture, lacquerware, balalaikas and other musical instruments, caviar (buy only from an official store and keep your receipts), and vodka. Don't miss Moscow's markets and pedestrian malls!

What are the voltage requirements?

220 volts. Plug C. You will need a voltage converter and plug adapter in order to use U.S. appliances. We recommend getting a universal adapter and converter kit. Click here for more information about electrical standards around the world.

Can I take my cell phone?

See our blog post on using your cell phone abroad.

Tours & Packages Our specialty for 30 years! Find one now:
choose a region Europe Mediterranean Asia Middle East Africa Central America Caribbean South America South Pacific