Fast Facts: New Zealand

Below are some of the most common questions from our travelers.

Do I need a passport? What is required for entry?

U.S. citizens must have a passport which is valid for at least 90 days after your return date, though we strongly recommend at least six months.

U.S. passport holders do not need a visa to enter New Zealand for tourist stays up to 90 days. Consult the New Zealand Embassy or the U.S. Dept. of State website for more information.

Booked on one of our packages with Scheduled Dates? If you do not hold a U.S. passport, you are responsible for obtaining any necessary visas and meeting all entry requirements. If a visa is required, we recommend using a fee-based visa service, such as our preferred provider VisaHQ.

More information about passports & visas.

What is the weather like?

Remember that New Zealand's seasons are opposite those in regions north of the equator. July is the coldest month and January is the warmest. The climate in New Zealand is quite mild with extremes only in the high mountains. Temperatures range from 60 F in the northern regions of North Island, and 50 degrees F near the bottom of the South Island. Take a sweater and umbrella no matter when you visit. September and October, flowers and trees are in bloom, and pose a beautiful site for any traveler.

For an updated forecast in New Zealand, click here.

What is required for entry?

U.S. and Canadian citizens need a valid passport, proof of onward passage and proof of sufficient funds. No visa is required.

Are there any health precautions I should take?

The sun is the biggest health concern in New Zealand, so be sure to pack plenty of sunscreen. Don't forget the bug repellant!

CDC Website link:
WHO website link:

What is the currency?

The currency in New Zealand is the New Zealand dollar. Click here for updated currency information on the NZ dollar.

What are the best items to shop for?

Shop in local markets and stop for off-the-beaten-path artist studios for wonderful surprises. Also shop for paua-shell jewelry, Maori items such as carvings and music, rugs, sweaters, fleece jackets, greenstone jewelry and ornaments, jams, and wine.

What are the voltage requirements?

230 volts. Plug I. You will need a voltage converter and plug adapter in order to use U.S. appliances. We recommend getting a universal adapter and converter kit. Click here for more information about electrical standards around the world.

Can I take my cell phone?

See our blog post on using your cell phone abroad.