Fast Facts: Montenegro

Below are some of the most common questions from our travelers.

Do I need a passport? What is required for entry?

U.S. citizens must have a passport which is valid for at least 90 days after your return date, though we strongly recommend at least six months.

U.S. passport holders do not need a visa to enter Montenegro for stays up to 90 days. See the U.S. Dept. of State website for more information.

Booked on one of our packages with Scheduled Dates? If you do not hold a U.S. passport, you are responsible for obtaining any necessary visas and meeting all entry requirements. If a visa is required, we recommend using a fee-based visa service, such as our preferred provider VisaHQ.

More information about passports & visas.

What is the weather like?

The months of May thru October are ideal to visit Montenegro since they are the warmest and driest months with great beach weather. Nights can be chilly, so remember to take a sweater. Winters are very cold and snowy. For the current forecast in Montenegro, click here.

What is required for entry?

At present, U.S. and Canadian citizens do not need visas to travel to Serbia and Montenegro. Travelers should check with the respective government agencies to determine if new regulations are in place.

Are there any health precautions I should take?

Check with your physician about obtaining hepatitis and typhoid medications before traveling to Montenegro. Be sure to take sunscreen!

Center for Disease Control:

What is the currency?

In Montenegro, the currency is the euro. Click here for current exchange rates on the euro.

Are tips & service charges customary?

In restaurants, in addition to the service charge, tip 5-10%. Taxi drivers get 10%.

What are the best items to shop for?

The best items to shop for in Montenegro are handmade carpets and tapestries, lace and embroidery, wood carvings, ceramics, art, silver filigree jewelry, and wine. Narodna Radinost (shops specializing in folk crafts) are good places to begin shopping.

What are the voltage requirements?

220 volts. Plugs C & F. You will need a voltage converter and plug adapter in order to use U.S. appliances. We recommend getting a universal adapter and converter kit. Click here for more information about electrical standards around the world.

Can I take my cell phone?

See our blog post on using your cell phone abroad.