Fast Facts: Easter Island

Below are some of the most common questions from our travelers.

Do I need a passport? What is required for entry?

U.S. citizens must have a passport which is valid for at least 90 days after your return date, though we strongly recommend at least six months.

U.S. passport holders do not need a visa for entry into Chile for stays up to 90 days. See the U.S. Dept. of State website for more information.

Booked on one of our packages with Scheduled Dates? If you do not hold a U.S. passport, you are responsible for obtaining any necessary visas and meeting all entry requirements. If a visa is required, we recommend using a fee-based visa service, such as our preferred provider VisaHQ.

More information about passports & visas.

What is the weather like on Easter Island?

The climate of Easter Island is subtropical maritime. The lowest temperatures occur in July and August and the highest in February. Winters are relatively mild. The rainiest month is April, though the island experiences year-round rainfall. Easter Island's isolated location exposes it to winds which help to keep the temperature fairly cool. Occasionally, heavy rainfall and rainstorms strike the island. These occur mostly in the winter months (June‚ÄďAugust).

Check out the current weather conditions on Easter Island.

Are there any health precautions I should take?

There are no health requirements to enter Chile, including no risk of malaria. Ask your doctor about possible vaccinations for typhoid and hepatitis.

Center for Disease Control
World Health Organization

What is the currency?

The official currency used on Easter Island is the Chilean peso, however, transactions can be performed in U.S. dollars. Please review the current exchange rate for the Chilean peso.

There are at least 4 ATMs available on the island.

What are the best items to shop for on Easter Island?

Easter Island is known for its wood crafts such as carved moai kavakava and rongorongo tablets.

What are the voltage requirements?

220 volts. Plugs C & L. You will need a voltage converter and plug adapter in order to use U.S. appliances. We recommend getting a universal adapter and converter kit. View more information about electrical standards around the world.

Can I take my cell phone?

See our blog post on using your cell phone abroad.