Fast Facts: Bali

Below are some of the most common questions from our travelers.

Do I need a passport? What is required for entry?

Please see entry requirements for Indonesia.

More information about passports & visas.

What is the weather like?

Bali's dry season occurs between April and October, with heat and humidity indexes still high. Monsoon season is between November and March with January and February being the wettest months.

Check out the current weather conditions in Bali.

Are there any health precautions I should take?

Malaria risk exists throughout the year in the whole country except in Jakarta Municipality, big cities, and within the areas of the tourist resorts of Bali and Java.

Center for Disease Control
World Health Organization

What is the currency?

The currency in Bali is the Indonesian Rupiah. Please review the current exchange rate fpr the Indonesia Rupiah..

Are tips & service charges customary?

10% in restaurants, Rp 500 per bag for porters

What are the best things to shop for?

Shop for the Indonesian textile batik, silver, leather crafts, baskets, cloth, porcelain, tin art objects, wood, ikat, masks, coffee, tea and honey. Be prepared to bargain for everything! Start low and expect to meet the seller at least halfway.

Yogyakarta: leather crafts and handbags made of plant fibers, silver, batiks, and wayang kulit puppets.
Irian Jaya: wood carvings.
Surabaya: Ikat weavings and batik.

What are the voltage requirements?

127/230 volts. Plugs C, F, and G. A country-wide conversion to 230V is in progress, complete in principal cities. You will need a voltage converter and plug adapter in order to use U.S. appliances. We recommend getting a universal adapter and converter kit. View more information about electrical standards around the world.

Can I take my cell phone?

See our blog post on using your cell phone abroad.