Fast Facts: Australia

Below are some of the most common questions from our travelers.

Do I need a passport? What is required for entry?

U.S. citizens must have a passport which is valid at the time of entry, though we strongly recommend it be valid for at least six months after your return date.

U.S. passport holders do not need a visa to enter Australia, but must obtain an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA), which is linked to your passport, through Australia's ETA website prior to travel. See the U.S. Dept. of State website for more information.

Booked on one of our packages with Scheduled Dates? We will send instructions for U.S. passport holders to obtain the ETA.

If you hold a passport from another country, you are responsible for obtaining any necessary visas and meeting all entry requirements. If a visa is required, we recommend using a fee-based visa service, such as our preferred provider VisaHQ.

More information about passports & visas.

What is the weather like?

The seasons in Australia are the opposite of those in the Northern Hemisphere with December and January being the hottest months and July and August the coldest. Australian winters are fairly mild, but a bit rainy. The Great Barrier Reef is best visited September-December, but it can also be seen May-August (it's a bit cooler then; cyclones can disrupt sightseeing plans January-April). Be sure to take a sweater, no matter when or where you're going.

Check out the current weather conditions in Australia

Are there any health precautions I should take?

The sun is just about the biggest health concern in Australia, which has the world's highest incidence of skin cancer. Take plenty of sunscreen as well as insect repellant.

Center for Disease Control
World Health Organization

What is the currency?

In Australia, the currency is the Australian dollar. Please review the current exchange rate.

ATMs are located at most banks.

What are the best items to shop for?

Items unique to Australia that you might want to shop for are aboriginal art, leather goods, pearls, opals, and antiques.

What are the voltage requirements?

240 volts. Plug I. You will need a voltage converter and plug adapter in order to use U.S. appliances. We recommend getting a universal adapter and converter kit before your tour to Australia. View more information about electrical standards around the world.

Can I take my cell phone?

See our blog post on using your cell phone abroad.