Christmas on the Rhine
Cologne, Coblenz, Ruedesheim, Speyer, Strasbourg & Mainz
This package is currently unavailable.
To be the first to know when we have more departures available, subscribe to our
|Itinerary at a Glance
Christmas on the Rhine
|Day||Destination/Port of Call||Arrive||Depart|
Arrival/departure times subject to change
|Style||Small Group Tour
24 travelers max, dedicated tour escorts & guides throughout
|Highlights||Cologne, Koblenz, Ruedesheim, Speyer, Strasbourg & Mainz|
|What to Expect||This leisurely paced river cruise requires minimal walking and is suitable for most levels of physical fitness.|
Pass by hilltop castles, terraced vineyards and waterside villages on this most scenic stretch of river on the German-French border. Shop at the Christmas market in Ruedesheim, and tour the Cologne Gothic Cathedral, housing the relics of the three holy kings.
Christmas Eve is in Speyer, Germany, home to one of the world’s best-preserved Romanesque churches. Awake Christmas morning bound for Strasbourg, France, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Enjoy huge savings when you book your Christmas Rhine Cruise all-inclusive package with Friendly Planet. Save your extra cash for all the treasures you’ll find at the gorgeous markets you’ll visit.
Dates, Prices & Options
Sorry, there are no currently available tour dates.
Tour prices have been increased by $20 per person, due to a fuel surcharge increase imposed by the airline on Aug 22, 2012.
Day 1: Depart USA. Your exciting journey to Germany begins this evening as you check in for your overnight flight.
Day 2: Frankfurt/Cologne. Upon arrival at Frankfurt Airport, proceed to the DB Bahn rail platform to board your train to Cologne. Upon arrival in Cologne, make your way independently to the port for embarkation on your ship, and check in to your “floating hotel” Taxis are readily available at the station. Enjoy a welcome cocktail and welcome dinner on board. The ship casts off and sails upstream towards Coblenz during the night. MS Amadeus Princess. Dinner provided.
Day 3: Coblenz/Ruedesheim. Early this morning, arrive in Colbenz, which stands at the confluence of the Rhine and Moselle Rivers. After breakfast, you may join a walking tour to see the highlights of the city. Return to the ship in time for lunch, and continue cruising along the most famous and scenic stretch of the Rhine towards Ruedesheim. Pass by hilltop castles, terraced vineyards and attractive waterside villages. Arrive in Ruedesheim in the evening. You may choose to visit the attractive Christmas market nearby. The vessel will depart this evening. Breakfast, lunch & dinner provided.
Day 4: Speyer. Today, the vessel will dock in Speyer, one of the Roman Empire’s most important settlements. Enjoy a guided walk that includes, among other sights, Speyer’s famous cathedral - one of the world’s best-preserved Romanesque churches. You may be able to attend a Christmas mass in the evening. The ship casts off again after midnight, heading upstream towards France. Breakfast, lunch & dinner provided.
Day 5: Strasbourg (France). Enjoy Christmas morning relaxing on board. The ship will dock after lunch in Strasbourg, the ancient capital of Alsace and one of Europe’s most attractive cities. Disembark for a tour of this UNESCO World Heritage site, which includes a view of the European Parliament building and a guided tour of the inside of the city’s vast and famous cathedral that features carvings as delicate as any piece of lacework. The ship casts off again, this time downstream, after dinner. Breakfast, lunch & dinner provided.
Day 6: Mainz. Arrive in Mainz this morning. Discover the town’s traditions, history and lifestyle on a city tour, which includes a visit to the Gutenberg Museum that commemorates 400 years of printing history. Tonight, the captain invites everyone to a special dinner and dance to the accompaniment of the ship’s orchestra. The ship sets sail after dinner. Breakfast, lunch & dinner provided.
Day 7: Cologne. Early this morning, the ship will dock in Cologne. After breakfast, join a guided walking tour of the city, which was founded by the Romans and has been an important trading center for many hundreds of years. It is dominated by its vast Gothic Cathedral, which was founded in 1248 as a pilgrimage church, and now houses the relics of the three holy kings. The afternoon is free for you to explore the city on your own. Breakfast, lunch & dinner provided.
Day 8: Cologne/USA. Your cruise comes to an end as you disembark and make your way independently to the Cologne Rail Station for your journey to Frankfurt and connecting flight to the USA, arriving later today. Breakfast provided.
MS Amadeus Princess
See specifications, deck plans & photos of the ship.
I love it. Working with Katherine through this process was extremely smooth.
Things to Know
- Do I need a visa or any other documents? Please review the requirements about which documents you need before you travel.
- Should I get travel insurance? Protect your travel investment with our comprehensive policies.
- What's the fine print? Read the terms & conditions for this package.
- I'm traveling solo. Can you help me find a roommate? Yes, you can connect with other travelers to share a room and avoid single occupancy rates.
- Can I bring my kids? Are there any age restrictions? To book this package, you must be 18 or older. Your traveling companions must be 8 or older at the time of travel.
- Tips about traveling in France? Check our Fast Facts to learn about the best time to travel, what to wear, what to buy, currency conversion, tipping, weather, voltage & plugs, immunizations you should get, and more.
- Tips about traveling in Germany? Check our Fast Facts to learn about the best time to travel, what to wear, what to buy, currency conversion, tipping, weather, voltage & plugs, immunizations you should get, and more.
More Common Questions
- Booked Passengers Forms you need to complete & information you need to have.
- Make a Payment Pay your balance due.
- Baggage Allowance On this program you are permitted one carry-on bag per person and one piece of checked luggage not to exceed 44lbs. The carry on must not exceed 18" x 10" x 8" so that it fits under your seat or in the overhead compartment.