Christmas on the Danube
Passau, Linz, Melk/Emmersdorf, Duernstein, Vienna, Bratislava & Grein
This package is currently unavailable.
To be the first to know when we have more departures available, subscribe to our
|Itinerary at a Glance
Christmas on the Danube
|Day||Destination/Port of Call||Arrive||Depart|
|3||Passau & Salzburg||10am|
Arrival/departure times subject to change
|Style||Small Group Tour
24 travelers max, dedicated tour escorts & guides throughout
|Highlights||Germany, Austria and Slovakia; Passau, Linz, Melk/Emmersdorf, Duernstein, Vienna, Bratislava, Grein|
|What to Expect||This leisurely paced river cruise requires minimal walking and is suitable for most levels of physical fitness.|
This magical cruise on the Danube, long-time frontier of the Roman Empire, stops in Germany, Austria and Slovakia.
Visit Mozart’s home city of Salzburg, Austria, and board your ship in Linz. Visit the Benedictine Abbey at Melk followed by a glühwein (warm spiced wine) party.
Spend Christmas Eve in Duernstein, awake Christmas morning in Vienna to visit St. Stephan’s Cathedral, then cruise into Slovakia to tour Bratislava’s 13th century castle.
Enjoy huge savings when you book your Christmas Danube Cruise all-inclusive package with Friendly Planet. Save your extra cash for all the treasures you’ll find at the gorgeous markets you’ll visit.
Dates, Prices & Options
Sorry, there are no currently available tour dates.
Tour prices have been increased by $20 per person, due to a fuel surcharge increase imposed by the airline on Aug 22, 2012.
Day 1: Depart USA. Your exciting journey to Europe begins this evening as you check in for your overnight flight to Munich, Germany.
Day 2: Passau (Germany). Upon arrival in Munich, you will be met and transferred to the port for embarkation on your ship and check in to your “floating hotel” in Passau. Enjoy a welcome cocktail and welcome dinner on board. The ship remains moored in Passau overnight. MS Amadeus Diamond. Dinner provided.
Day 3: Passau, Salzburg, Linz (Austria). After an early breakfast, enjoy a walking tour of Passau through the compact old quarter, with its St. Stephen’s Cathedral, new Bishop’s residence and town hall. Return to the ship in time for your motor coach transfer to Salzburg, the city made famous by Mozart. The old quarter of Salzburg is renowned for its Baroque architecture and is a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage site. Enjoy some free time at the Christmas market. Later, drive to Linz, where your ship will be waiting. Before dinner, there will be an opportunity to also visit the Christmas market in Linz. The vessel departs Linz later this evening. Breakfast, lunch & dinner provided.
Day 4: Melk/Emmersdorf, Duernstein (Austria). The ship will dock early in the morning at the wine growing town of Melk or Emmersdorf (located across the river). After breakfast, depart via coach for an excursion through the beautiful Wachau district. Visit the Benedictine Abbey at Melk, and enjoy a glühwein, warm spiced wine, party. Return to the ship as it departs during lunch for Duernstein, arriving later in the afternoon. Enjoy the wonderful Christmas Eve atmosphere on board. There will be an opportunity to attend Christmas mass in Duernstein. The ship will sail to Vienna during the night. Breakfast, lunch & dinner provided.
Day 5: Vienna (Austria). This morning, arrive in Vienna and disembark. Enjoy a highlights of Vienna tour, including the Ringstrasse, Schwarzenbergplatz, Karlskirche and opera house. Stop at the city’s famous St. Stephan’s Cathedral. After lunch on the ship, visit Schonbrunn Castle. After dinner this evening, there will be a festive Christmas concert in the Panorama Bar. Breakfast, lunch & dinner provided.
Day 6: Bratislava (Slovakia). This morning arrive in Bratislava. After breakfast, tour the city’s major sights, including a stop at Bratislava’s 13th century castle for breathtaking views of the countryside where the frontiers of Austria, Hungary and Slovakia meet. Return to the ship for lunch and sail upstream back to Austria. Tonight, the captain invites everyone to a special dinner and entertainment by the ship’s orchestra. Breakfast, lunch & dinner provided.
Day 7: Grein, Linz (Austria). Arrive this morning in the idyllic village of Grein. Enjoy a walking tour which will include a view of Austria’s oldest theatre. Continue sailing towards Linz, arriving after lunch. Take part in a walking tour of Austria’s third largest city and former cultural capital. After dinner, the vessel continues upstream towards Passau, Germany. Breakfast, lunch & dinner provided.
Day 8: Passau/USA. Your cruise comes to an end as you disembark and transfer to the Munich Airport, arriving in the USA later today. Breakfast provided.
MS Amadeus Diamond
See specifications, deck plans & photos of the ship.
Things to Know
- Do I need a visa or any other documents? Please review the requirements about which documents you need before you travel.
- Should I get travel insurance? Protect your travel investment with our comprehensive policies.
- What's the fine print? Read the terms & conditions for this package.
- I'm traveling solo. Can you help me find a roommate? Yes, you can connect with other travelers to share a room and avoid single occupancy rates.
- Can I bring my kids? Are there any age restrictions? To book this package, you must be 18 or older. Your traveling companions must be 8 or older at the time of travel.
- Tips about traveling in Austria? Check our Fast Facts to learn about the best time to travel, what to wear, what to buy, currency conversion, tipping, weather, voltage & plugs, immunizations you should get, and more.
- Tips about traveling in Germany? Check our Fast Facts to learn about the best time to travel, what to wear, what to buy, currency conversion, tipping, weather, voltage & plugs, immunizations you should get, and more.
- Tips about traveling in Slovakia? Check our Fast Facts to learn about the best time to travel, what to wear, what to buy, currency conversion, tipping, weather, voltage & plugs, immunizations you should get, and more.
More Common Questions
- Booked Passengers Forms you need to complete & information you need to have.
- Make a Payment Pay your balance due.
- Baggage Allowance On this program you are permitted one carry-on bag per person and one piece of checked luggage not to exceed 44lbs. The carry on must not exceed 18" x 10" x 8" so that it fits under your seat or in the overhead compartment.