Best of Kenya & Tanzania Safari
Nairobi, Ol Pejeta, Samburu, Masai Mara, Tarangire & NgorongoroBook now online
|Style||Small Group Tour
18 travelers max, dedicated tour escorts & guides throughout
|Departures||Scheduled Dates: Select a departure from May 2016 – January 2017|
|Departs||New York Kennedy (JFK); other gateways on request (flight schedule)|
|Highlights||Nairobi, Ol Pejeta Conservancy, Samburu Game Reserve, Lake Nakuru National Park, Masai Mara National Reserve, & Ngorongoro Crater|
|Themes||Active, Nature & Wildlife|
|What to Expect||This fast-paced, partially escorted tour includes a reasonable amount of walking or hiking and requires an average level of physical fitness. This tour also includes long scenic drives between destinations, sometimes on bumpy unpaved roads and may have limited rest stops.|
|As Seen in|
If you're looking for an African wildlife safari that you can afford, look no further. Savvy travelers and novices alike include Kenya & Tanzania on their list of safari tours for a very good reason. Both countries are blessed with an abundance of spectacular wildlife and beautiful landscapes. Everywhere you go, from the busy cities to the rolling plains of the Masai Mara, the people are always friendly and welcoming. With more than 50 parks from which to choose in Kenya alone, and almost 25% of Tanzania protected as nature reserves, it's hard to decide where to go, but everyone agrees that the Masai Mara and Samburu parks in Kenya and the Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania are must-visit sites. Our Best of Kenya & Tanzania safari tour includes them all plus a lot more! And like all Friendly Planet tours, you'll enjoy the very best of Kenya and Tanzania at prices that are as amazing as the countries themselves.
Dates, Prices & Options
Departure Dates & Prices
Departures & Prices
per person, double occupancy*
|Thu||Feb 11||2016||Wed||Feb 24||2016||$5399||Closed|
|Thu||Mar 10||2016||Wed||Mar 23||2016||$5299||Closed|
|Thu||Apr 7||2016||Wed||Apr 20||2016||$5399||$4899||Closed|
|Thu||May 5||2016||Wed||May 18||2016||$5299||$4799||Available|
|Thu||Jun 2||2016||Wed||Jun 15||2016||$5999||$5499||Closed|
|Thu||Jun 30||2016||Wed||Jul 13||2016||$6699||$6199||Available|
|Thu||Jul 14||2016||Wed||Jul 27||2016||$6699||$6199||Closed|
|Thu||Jul 28||2016||Wed||Aug 10||2016||$6699||$6199||Available|
|Thu||Aug 11||2016||Wed||Aug 24||2016||$6599||$6099||Closed|
|Thu||Sep 22||2016||Wed||Oct 5||2016||$6199||$5699||Closed|
|Thu||Oct 20||2016||Wed||Nov 2||2016||$6199||$5699||Available|
|Thu||Nov 17||2016||Wed||Nov 30||2016||$5799||$5299||Available|
|Thu||Dec 22||2016||Wed||Jan 4||2017||$6699||$6199||Available|
Want to stay longer? We may be able to arrange for you to stay later than the scheduled dates, including extra hotel nights and separate airport transfers. Contact us about prices and availability.
Options & Fees
|Best of Kenya & Tanzania|
|Apr 7, May 5||+$299|
|Jul 14, Jul 28, Aug 11, Oct 20, Dec 22||+$999|
|All other departures||+$899|
|Separately Paid Fees|
|Kenya Visa Fee1 (paid separately)||+$50|
|Tanzania Visa Fee2 (paid separately)||+$100|
|Tanzania Departure Tax3 (paid separately)||+$10|
1. All visitors to Kenya and Tanzania must obtain a visa. Comprehensive visa instructions will be included in the confirmation packets to all passengers. Please inquire with the Kenyan Consulate about reduced visa fees.
2. The Tanzania visa fees and pricessing times are subject to change at short notice. Please visit the following link for up-to-date visa information: http://tanzaniatouristboard.com/
3. Departure tax paid locally.
Flights & Departure Cities
|New York Kennedy (JFK)||included|
This package includes round-trip flights from the cities listed above. Please review the flight schedule, especially if you're booking connecting flights.
Coming from somewhere else? Ask us about availability and prices for flights from other cities. Additional charges for flights from other cities are due within 24 hours of your reservation.
Transfers: Transfers for this package are provided on a group basis only. For passengers deviating in any way from the group program, transfers are not provided. Individual, private transfers can be arranged at a supplement in price. Taxis and other forms of transportation are also available and may cost less than private transfers. If you wish to arrange private transfers, please request this service at the time of reservation.
How to Make a Reservation
To make a reservation, simply select an available departure date and reserve online using our secure booking system. Or call us one of our travel specialists at 800-555-5765, Mon–Fri 9:30–6:00 Eastern time. But first, check out our Things to Know section.
We only require a per-person deposit payment, which you can pay with your credit card or PayPal account. This deposit will be applied towards the cost of your package, and is generally non-refundable (details). The balance is due 75 days prior to departure (or within 72 hours, if you're booking less than 75 days prior to departure), and can be paid by credit card, PayPal, check or money order.
Day 1: Depart USA
- Depart the USA this evening on your overnight flight to Kenya
Day 2: Arrive Nairobi, Kenya
Accommodations: 1 night Intercontinental Hotel Nairobi or similar.
- Upon arrival, our representative will assist you with passport and customs formalities
- Transfer to your hotel for check-in
Day 3: Ol Pejeta Conservancy
Accommodations: 1 night Sweetwaters Tented Camp. Included meals: Breakfast, lunch & dinner.
- After a morning game drive and breakfast, depart for Ol Pejeta Conservancy
- Upon arrival, enjoy lunch at your camp
- In the afternoon, visit the Jane Goodall Chimpanzee sanctuary followed by a game drive
- This evening sit by the lit waterhole to view the animals
Full Day Itinerary: After breakfast, depart for the 90,000 acre Ol Pejeta Conservancy, located on the equator, in Kenya’s Laikipia District, between the foothills of the Aberdares and the snow-capped Mount Kenya. The conservancy hosts a large variety of animals, including the “Big Five”, Grevy’s zebra, Jackson’s hartebeest, cheetah and chimpanzee. Enjoy lunch at your camp. In the afternoon, visit the Jane Goodall Chimpanzee sanctuary followed by a game drive. In the evening sit by the lit waterhole to view the animals.
Day 4: Samburu Game Reserve
Accommodations: 2 nights Samburu Game Lodge. Included meals: Breakfast, lunch & dinner.
- After a morning game drive, travel north to the remote Samburu Reserve
- Arrive at the lodge in time for lunch and then depart for an afternoon game
Full Day Itinerary: After a morning game drive and breakfast, drive north to the remote Samburu Reserve. This is the homeland of the nomadic Samburu people, whose culture attaches great value to tending their livestock of cattle, sheep, goats and camels as their main economic activity. The Samburu people's appearance is dramatic with bright reds, braided hair and skin daubed in red ochre. Samburu is rich in species not seen in southern Kenya's more famous parks, such as Grevy's zebra, reticulated giraffe, beisa oryx and gerenuk. You'll also have a good chance at spotting lions, cheetahs and the elusive leopard. The semiarid landscape is dramatic, with the rugged outcrop known as Mt. Ololokwe a prominent feature. Arrive at the lodge in time for lunch and then depart for an afternoon game drive returning to the lodge as the sun sets.
Day 5: Samburu Game Reserve
Included meals: Breakfast, lunch & dinner.
- Morning game drive
- Lunch, followed by some free time to relax
- Early evening game drive
Full Day Itinerary: Enjoy another day of game viewing drives in the Samburu Game Reserve. One drive in the morning and another in the early evening, in a safari vehicle with roof hatch access for perfect game viewing and photography. Guided by your expert driver, enjoy searching for animals native to this fascinating and beautiful area.
Day 6: Lake Nakuru National Park
Accommodations: 1 night Sarova Lion Hill Lodge. Included meals: Breakfast, lunch & dinner.
- Early this morning, travel to Lake Nakuru National Park
- Once in the park, there will be a game drive followed by lunch at the lodge
- In the afternoon, there will be another game drive prior to check-in and dinner
Full Day Itinerary: Early this morning, travel south to Lake Nakuru National Park via Isiolo. Travel through the town of Nanyuki and then head west via Nyahururu, still known to many as Thompsons Falls. Continue to Lake Nakuru. This park is a rhino sanctuary, offering the rare opportunity to see these endangered animals. It's also home to rare Rothschild's giraffes, buffalo, leopards and lions. Once in the park, there will be a game drive followed by lunch at the lodge. In the afternoon, there will be another game drive prior to check-in and dinner.
Day 7: Masai Mara National Reserve, Kenya
Accommodations: 2 nights Keekorok Lodge. Included meals: Breakfast, lunch & dinner.
- After breakfast, head out for the Masai Mara National Reserve
- Enjoy lunch at a nearby lodge
- Depart for a game drive en route to your lodge, arriving as the sun sets
Full Day Itinerary: After breakfast, set out for the Masai Mara National Reserve, which borders Tanzania's Serengeti National Park. Every year, between June and September, millions of wildebeests and zebras migrate into the Mara in search of water. The timing of this phenomenon varies, depending on the rains, but they usually start heading back to the Serengeti in October.
Whether you see the migration or not, the grassy plains and lush landscape offer a huge variety of game including lions, cheetahs, buffalo and abundant bird life such as ostriches, cranes and storks. Enjoy lunch at a nearby lodge. After lunch, depart for a game drive en route to your lodge, arriving as the sun sets.
Day 8: Masai Mara National Reserve
Included meals: Breakfast, lunch & dinner.
- Morning game drive
- Lunch, followed by some free time to relax
- Late afternoon game drive
You'll have the option of replacing one safari drive with an optional Hot Air Balloon Safari, which provides a thrilling opportunity to soar high over the plains for animal viewing from above. Whether you go by air or land, you will enjoy searching for animals native to this fascinating and beautiful area accompanied by your expert guide, who will amaze you with his ability to spot game hidden in the bush.
Optional Excursion: Masai Village Tour, $25 (purchased locally). This afternoon, you have the opportunity to mingle with the interesting Masai villagers in their natural setting. Experience what the Masai tribal life is like as you walk through a traditional village compound. You'll be greeted by the village chief and be escorted around the village by a local host who will explain the history, culture and practices of the Masai. Before departing the village, enjoy a cultural performance by the young men of the tribe, the famed warrior "morans". Credit cards are not accepted.
Optional Excursion: Masai Mara Hot Air Balloon Safari, $450 (purchased locally). Take to the sky over herds of wildlife in the Masai Mara game reserve, flying in a hot air balloon. The balloon can soar over the most inaccessible and undisturbed parts of the reserve and offers a bird's eye view of the plains below. Before returning to your lodge, your balloon pilot will present you with a Balloon Flight Certificate. This is certain to become a once in a lifetime experience you will remember long after returning from Kenya! Flight may not operate if weather conditions are not suitable.
Day 9: Masai Mara & Nairobi
Accommodations: 1 night Intercontinental Hotel Nairobi. Included meals: Breakfast, lunch & dinner.
- After breakfast, depart the Masai Mara for Nairobi
- Visit the Karen Blixen Museum and the Langata Giraffe Center
- Enjoy an all-you-can-eat dinner at the famous Carnivore Restaurant
- After dinner, return to your Nairobi hotel for overnight
Full Day Itinerary: After breakfast, enjoy your final early morning game drive before departing the Masai Mara Park. Continue through the acres of rolling wheat and barley farms, stopping for a picnic lunch in Narok, the district headquarters of this part of Masai land. After lunch, continue to Nairobi and visit the Karen Blixen Museum, which is the former home of "Out of Africa" author Karen Blixen and served as the farm house for her 4500 acre farm from 1917–1931. Next, you'll visit the Langata Giraffe Center, established to protect the endangered Rothschild Giraffe. Guests are permitted to feed the giraffes from a raised feeding platform, from which you'll also see several warthogs which roam freely with the giraffes.
This evening, join your fellow travelers for an "all you can eat" dining experience at the world-famous Carnivore Restaurant. Here you'll find wide variety of meats, basted and roasted on traditional Masai swords over a huge charcoal pit at the entrance of the restaurant, then carved to order by your waiter at your table.
Day 10: Arusha & Tarangire National Park, Tanzania
Accommodations: 1 night Tarangire Sopa Lodge. Included meals: Breakfast, lunch & dinner.
- This morning, fly to Kilimanjaro Airport in Tanzania
- Enjoy a game drive en route to your lodge in Tarangire National Park
- Lunch will be served at the lodge followed by an afternoon game drive
Full Day Itinerary: This morning, fly to Kilimanjaro Airport in Tanzania, at the base of Mount Kilimanjaro, a dormant volcano that is the tallest mountain in Africa and the highest freestanding mountain in the world. After completing border formalities, you'll drive to Arusha, a pleasant city that serves as a trading center for the surrounding farmlands.
Continue to Tarangire National Park, home to thousands of elephants, and, in the dry season, game which congregates along the river after having migrated from the Masai Mara. Large herds of antelope, zebras, gazelles, buffalo, wildebeest, leopards, rhinos and many smaller mammals also make the park their home. Tarangire is an ornithologist's paradise, rich in an incredible variety of birds.
Enjoy a game drive en route to your lodge located deep within the park. Lunch will be served at the lodge followed by an afternoon game drive in Tarangire Park.
Day 11: Lake Manyara National Park
Accommodations: 1 night Lake Manyara Serena Safari Lodge. Included meals: Breakfast, lunch & dinner.
- This morning drive to Lake Manyara National Park
- After lunch, take a game drive in search of tree climbing lions and flamingos
Full Day Itinerary: After breakfast drive to Lake Manyara National Park. Located at the base of the Great Rift Valley, the park is covered with forest, woodland, grasslands, and swamps. After lunch, take a game drive in search of tree climbing lions and see the flamingos that congregate in the thousands on the lake.
Day 12: Ngorongoro Crater
Accommodations: 1 night Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge. Included meals: Breakfast, lunch & dinner.
- This morning drive to Ngorongoro Conservation
- Your lodge is perched on the edge of the famous Ngorongoro Crater
- Taking along a picnic lunch, descend into the crater
Full Day Itinerary: After breakfast, drive through the stunning hilly countryside of Karatu and the highlands covered with wheat and coffee plantations. Your destination is the Ngorongoro Conservation Area, where your lodge is perched on the edge of the famous Ngorongoro Crater. The completely intact rim rises 1800 feet above the base and offers the very finest game viewing in Africa. It is considered one of the world's greatest natural wonders, and its abundant game includes rare species such as black rhinos and cheetahs. The magnificent scenery will thrill even the most experienced safari traveler.
Taking along a picnic lunch, descend into the crater. With the passage of time, the crater floor has become grassland with a lake in the middle, a sanctuary and source of water for the abundance of wildlife found here.
Day 13: Ngorongoro Crater & Depart Nairobi
Accommodations: EKA Hotel Nairobi or similar (day-use room). Included meals: Breakfast & lunch.
- Heading southeast, travel back to Arusha through the scenic Rift Valley
- Enjoy a picnic lunch then continue to Kilimanjaro Airport
- Bid farewell to Africa as you transfer to the airport for your return flight
Full Day Itinerary: Heading southeast, travel back to Arusha through the scenic Rift Valley escarpment with great views of Lake Manyara in the distance. Pass by the Masai Steppe, filled with picturesque African villages and banana plantations. Enjoy a picnic lunch then continue to Kilimanjaro Airport for your short flight back to Nairobi. Upon arrival, check into your day-use room. Later today, bid farewell to Africa as you transfer to the airport for your return flight.
Day 14: Arrive USA
- Your amazing adventures come to an end as you arrive in the USA today
HEALTH REQUIREMENTS/PRECAUTIONS: Tanzania requires proof of yellow fever vaccination upon entry for passengers arriving from Yellow Fever Endemic Countries, such as Kenya. Click here to find a local vaccination center.
The tour was well organized. Special thanks to our guide, Tony. He spotted animals and birds that none of us on the van saw. I saw more than I expected in 5 days. It was enough to keep busy but not exhausting. The accommodations were great. I would definitely use Friendly Planet on future trips.
Anne Mok, Brooklyn, NY
Things to Know
- Do I need a visa or any other documents? Travel visas are required for this package. Please review the requirements.
- Should I get travel insurance? Protect your travel investment with our comprehensive policies.
- What's the fine print? Read the terms & conditions for this package.
- I'm traveling solo. Can you help me find a roommate? Yes, you can connect with other travelers to share a room and avoid single occupancy rates.
- Can I bring my kids? Are there any age restrictions? To book this package, you must be 18 or older. Your traveling companions must be 12 or older at the time of travel.
- Tips about traveling in Kenya? Check our Fast Facts to learn about the best time to travel, what to wear, what to buy, currency conversion, tipping, weather, voltage & plugs, immunizations you should get, and more.
- Tips about traveling in Tanzania? Check our Fast Facts to learn about the best time to travel, what to wear, what to buy, currency conversion, tipping, weather, voltage & plugs, immunizations you should get, and more.
More Common Questions
- Booked Passengers Forms you need to complete & information you need to have.
- Make a Payment Pay your balance due.
- Flight Schedule Departure & arrival times for your international flights and details on booking connecting flights.
- Baggage Allowance On this program you are permitted one carry-on bag (11lbs or less) per person and one piece of checked luggage not to exceed 33lbs. The carry on must not exceed 18" x 10" x 8" so that it fits under your seat or in the overhead compartment.